Correct shocks for SL-C

Joel K

Supporter
Hi,

My kit was delivered crated so not sure which shocks go in the front and which in the rear

Have a pair of QA1 DD303, extended length is 12.625”
Also a pair of QA1 DD401, extended length is 14”

One other question is that according to Summitracing.com, recommended spring length is 7-9” for the DD03 and 9-14” for the DD401.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

My car was pre "crate" and came as a roller, the installed rear shock is the DD303 referred by QA1 as "Double adjustable proma star". Unless you're using a spring compressor I would not exceed 8" spring in the rear, you can almost barely get that one in by hand. Longer is technically better as you're putting the load towards the end of the shock body. Where the collar sits will depend on suspension setup of course. I haven't played with the fronts to see what an optimal size would be but I believe the kit comes with a 4" spring. 8" worked out quite well on the rear for me.

For the rear I would highly suggest picking one of these thrust bearing kits up:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-7888-109

it makes life sooo much easier and also protects the shock threads and collar nuts when you end up cranking them down to get your desired ride height. Not really needed for the fronts since there's no tension at full droop.

Wow - those thrust bearing kits would have been HUGE the last time I adjusted my rear ride height, definitely putting these on "MUST BUY" list.

... I would not exceed 8" spring in the rear ...
... For the rear I would highly suggest picking one of these thrust bearing kits ...

Ditto on both of those. I currently have 7" springs in rear. It makes putting it together easier, but you may not be able to get the rear high enough for your liking. You will be happier with 8".

Joel K

Supporter
Thanks guys, have the 8” rear springs. Going to get the thrust bearings for the rear shocks as well.

Back