Deciding on a transaxle.

Darrin:
What Chris and Molleur said is basically the way to go. Unless you spring for a ZF box those are the two strongest OEM boxes out there.
Another consideration is engine mounting/gearbox position. The G-50, 930, and ZF boxes can be run inverted and this allows a preferred motor position IMHO, the Audi can't so your motor will be higher, how much depends on what you need to clear bodywork. The half shaft angles may be a little excessive, and I have seen motors mounted in a front downward position to accommodate the axle position on the gearbox. With the Porsche and ZF boxes one can acheive a slight angle rearward, maybe as much as 5 deg. which is about what stock V-8 engines are factory set, and have a reasonable half shaft angle.
Two things going for the Audi...easy shift linkage setup, and cheap. The adapters are readily available.
There is an intermediate case upgrade for the Audi but I have not seen how much strength it really adds.
Also, check out the Renault boxes, very reliable and available at a reasonable cost.
Good luck choosing.
Phil

Last edited:
Darrin,

it's not at all about you titanium vs alloy thing.

if you put the torque that generates this 500hp trough a UN1 or audi transmission, and try and put this power on the road using some wide sticky tyres, both of these boxes will be in pieces within the blink of an eye. also one misshift at higher rpm and Bang there it goes!

sure anything can be build to cope with silly power, but at what cost?

if you also consider the fact of what you engine position (hight wise) will do inbetween both a 01E and a G50 to the driving caracteristics of the car.

you know the final outcome.

that said, if anyone is trying to rob you of 10K for a used G50 transmission, they seriously need the head checked.
A porsche ricardo of holinger 6 speed sequential can be had for 12K if you look long enough.
Cima, gearfox, Wanni Albertini had 2 cima transaxles for sale (ex gumpert/koenigsegg) for €10k (this is the strongest of transaxles on earth)
look at ebay germany, I've seen G50-52's go for less than €4500.

I bought my G50 in holland for €1000, with 63.000km on the clock... so they are out there.

the work involved to get a G50 running upside down is not much at all, unless you want to go all out with oiling systems which isn't nessecary persee, GD has 680hp ls7's running in front of stock G50-50's for years and years without problems.

anyway do youself a favour and bit the bullit at at least a ZF of porsche G trans.

grtz Thomas

Back