Driveshaft .... CV Joint or Tripoid Joint?

Hi @all,

sorry for my poor english :rolleyes:

is there a overview or other where i can find some facts for driveshafts and whose load capacity?

what is better CV Joint or Tripode Joint

i will use a Tripode Joint ....

many thanks ...
Jub

Last edited:
Jub:
When you say driveshafts I take it you mean a shaft with U-Joints at each end.
These are relatively strong, but you will need a sliding component to allow for laterial movement when your suspension cycles through its travel.
CV's work well and are very strong, but don't have as much travel available, and you may reach the inner or outer limit of the joint(s) during suspension travel. Careful calculation of the length of your halfshafts will probably allow these to work well.
Tripot joints are also very strong, and they have a lot of lateral movement, some as much as 2", but they are larger and heavier than a CV joint. These have been used here in the US on some relatively heavy vehicles with a lot of torque and hold up well.
Mostly they are on the inner part of the shaft at the gearbox or rear differential housing with a regular CV at the wheel.
I would say depending on your power level and availability of parts in your area will determine what is best for the application.
I have seen all three types of joints used and they all work well. Just don't mix CV joints with U-joints as I have seen it introduce vibration in the drivelines.
Hope some of this helps
Cheers
Phil

Back