Edmonds :'I did 186 mph in my GT40'

British TV presenter Noel Edmonds told magazine he did £186 mph in his Ford GT40 on the Tring bypass in Hertfordshire at 4.30am 15 to 20 years ago. Typically it's caused an outcry in the tabloids with Edmonds branded 'irresponsible' by the RAC etc.

Interestingly the story comes on the same day the British govt admits that only one in 20 accidents are caused by excessive speed....

Does anyone know if Edmonds still has a GT40????

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ken,

According to Trevor Legate's book, P1072, the car bought by Noel Edmonds in 1974, was sold by him in 1983.

Apparently, he used to enter the BBC car park by driving UNDER the lowered security barrier.

Regards,

Jim Pearson

Hi,

This thread struck a cord so I went in the roof and dug out an old copy of alterative cars Aug/Sept 1981 which had an interview with Noel about the cars he had owned, at the time he still had the GT40 1072.

When Noel was looking for his GT40 you could buy one for around £10,000.

According to the article he used to take it on the Tring by pass at 5 in the morning to drive it quickly. One day a copper turned up at his door for a chat!! He’d seen Noel, but was going the other way at the time.

On another non GT40 note, in 1982 I was an apprentice working in Truro, in those days you used to put your money in a machine to lift the barrier to exit the public car park. One of the other apprentices had a Fiat X19 that he used to take great delight in driving under the barrier without paying, he always had a smile on his face when he did it. The rest of us were just waiting for the day they resurfaced the car park with another few inches of tarmac.

Nick

I believe the one used for the Top Gear piece (possibly referred to elsewhere on this site) was 1014 which he owned in the late 90's if not currently

Hi,

I read through the whole article it seems Noel convinced his wife of the time, that buying the car was an investment. Looks like he bought it for around £10,000, at the time of the article estimated it was worth £70,000 and he wanted to sell it as he could only get third party insurance.

I'm off to reiterate to my wife that buying an RCR GT40 is an investment, I now have the proof to prove it, well sort off.

Nick

Back