Engine I.D.

I'm trying to determine the age of my engine, its a Ford 302 and the code is C80E-6015-A. The data I have is a little unclear but would suggest this engine is a 68/69, can anybody confirm if this is correct. Assuming that the heads are original would they require hardened valve seats to run on unleaded? With leaded fuel becoming increasingly uncommon could this engine be run on unleaded + additives, with hindsight I should have asked at the time of purchase because I have not made any allowance in the budget for the heads to be re-worked. I'm trying to get my MDA ready for next summer so priorities are important so if the heads do require attention it would good to know if it could deferred to a later date

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
The engine is indeed a '68 from a Fairlane.

As for the heads you can have hardened valve seats inserted or alternatively run it on Shell Optimax, octane rating 98RON, with some lead replacement additive but if you go down this route it's imporatnt to decide which brand to use and stick to it - it's not advisable to chop and change.
Other people have run theirs on ordinary unleaded for years with no apparent ill effects but the problem is one of valve seat recession, it's aprrox. 100 times worse with unleaded than leaded.
I'm running a 351C on Optimax only but I'm planning to rebuild the heads within the next couple of years when they'll benefit (hopefully) from new technology.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Rob, excellent info and just what I wanted to hear.
Frank, thats a most generous offer, I could be in your neck of the woods soon but I'll email just to make sure the offer is still open

Back