Engine tilt in RF and dipstick calibration

Hi guys. After a long hiatus involving numerous honey-do and home improvement projects, I'm back at my build again. I'm going to fit my Armando's pan soon and I need a little help getting the dipstick properly calibrated.

First, does the RF engine sit horizontally flat or is it tilted a bit?

Second, if it is flat, what is the optimal distance between the oil level in the pan and the bottom of the rod caps when the pistons are at bottom dead center?

Third, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the cap screws that fasten the oil pan to the rails on the block? The screws near the seal are larger...do they get torqued to a larger value?

Lastly, should I safety-wire these screws or use locktite?

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know what the torque spec is for the cap screws that fasten the oil pan to the rails on the block? The screws near the seal are larger...do they get torqued to a larger value?

[/ QUOTE ]

From http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/5152/ :

[ QUOTE ]
We tightened the pan bolts to 7-9 lb-ft for the 1/4-inch bolts, and 9-11 lb-ft for the 5/16-inch bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Earp

Admin
I'd use locktite if you don't plan to take them off all the time.

The engine tilts a little to the front. But, you can cure this by using a different transmission mount in the rear. I did what Hershal taught me - just put little 1" derlin blocks under each dog ear coming off the tranny mount to the frame. Each blot has a hole in it to secure it with the mounting bolt. This lowers it in the rear about 1.5"s over the stock mount system and brings the front of the motor up a good bit, making it quite level.

R

Back