Fitting a ZF Transaxle into Roaring 40s chassis

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Re: Fitting a ZF Transaxle into Roaring 40s chassi

I thought that while I was writing Ron.I presume Oliver's car will be delivered from SA and the options would be limited.No harm in asking though and if not surely they could supply the engine mounts unfitted, which would make a neater finish when done.One of the drawbacks of powder coating is reworking.I got some paint that matches the powder coat colour though and you can hardly tell,if you don't look too hard.
Ross

Ross, we raced Robins car at SPA a couple weeks ago, and my incar video proved he was jumping the kerbs and rumble strips with great verve, he even launched the whole car over the bus stop chicane to the point the engine buzzed, but we did not get any marks on the sump ! I HAVE RECENTLY DONE AN EVEN LOWER ZF installation, wet sump with original 6.5inch deep pan. Frank

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Frank do you have a fairly high ride height?Maybe we have larger ripple strips on our tracks here.I've found my car will even bottom out under the floor when going over a lateral bump(not a small one though).The rubbing I have had is under the rear lower control arm inboard bearing housing.Have you fitted bash plates under the front edge of the sump?I must say though I am comfortable in the knowledge the chassis hits the track first.Maybe the sump is protected somewhat by it's position forward of the rear axle line.I hope I never have to use the line "I told you so" on you though.Enjoy reading of your exploits, keep up the good work. Hope to meet up with you and the others sometime.I'd like to come to Goodwood in the next year or 2.
Regards Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Frank, I'm 100mm front and 120mm rear so we are pretty close.
Ross

John B

Temp Selling Pass

Ross
Are you running 16" or 17" rims? The new RF40 will come with 17"BRM. If you have 16's then I will gain 1" depending on the tire size.

Oliver

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

I have the slicks on 17" 3 piece rims and 2 sets of 16" one piece wheels for wets and road.
Ross

John B

Temp Selling Pass

Which shifter and linkage did you use for the ZF? If it was the panteras, were did you find it and how much was it.

regards
oliver

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Fabricated the whole thing Oliver one of those things that evolved.The new shifter I made later is similar to a 73 F1 Brabham.Works well and I can shift fast.Roll cage leg gets in the road a bit though.There are some pics around the website of my setup but if a search doesn't bring them up I'll
post again.
Ross

Back