G50-10

G50-10

I have final fitted the gearbox in my car and have a positive rod gear change fabricated.

Just three questions:
1. The box is running inverted what volume of oil I should use, obviously the selectors are now at the top of the box and originally would have been immersed in oil.
2. What type of oil any recommendations?
3. I have found that 5th gear is only avalible from 4th is this standard with the G50-10s

Thanks in advance

Neil

Photos of Engine / G50 gearbox mounts

a>

Last edited:
See previous threads on oil level for inverted G50's. This topic was covered very thoroughly.

As far as the shifting, no that is not right. You should be able to get 5th at any time. Don't do it while rolling backwards obviously.

First check your clutch for full release with the car in the air. When you press the clutch pedal, your helper should be able to turn the rear wheels & tires easily by hand. With your foot off the clutch, and in gear, it should be very difficult or impossible for them to do this. These tests are with the engine NOT RUNNING.

Then check your shift linkage. Since you can get it from 4th, it seems unlikely that this is the problem, but you never know, maybe it gets blocked by something physically. You may need a helper to watch, or to shift while you watch.

After that, and I am afraid it may be likely, the end cover has to come off and the fifth gear syncro, engagement teeth, and operating sleeve need to be looked at by someone who has done this before. If that doesn't do it, the middle housing may also need to be removed to access the main shifting assembly.

There is also a minor adjustment for the shift rods on the side of the end cover, but that is not often able to overcome something like this.

Where did you find a G50/10 anyway??

Cheers

G50-10 was in the 964 RS

there's also the 964 C2 which had
05 in the USA
04 in switserland (+ probably more mountain rich area)
03 in the rest of the world 1990 to 1992

964 C4 had the AWD box

grtz Thomas

Back