Got a GTreproductions Chassis today......

Glad to know some one else has solid mounted LS motors. I was nearly close to changeing mine. I use the stock brackets up from and the adapter plate has ears that come out to the frame and then the solid rear mount.
I have the 911 roof and windshield frame so it is removable and working on the body panels to all be removable for working on it. I want it to be driven hard and easy to fix
I would also like to see Chris get some work done on the 962 effort. Is one of my favorite for sure.

Hi Chip,

I should have paid attention to this thread sooner!

Firstly the car is looking awesome so keep it up!

I'm also running C5 uprights, the Z06 brake package and C6 wheels (only 10.5" rears :sad:).

Your the first other guy I've seen use these brakes, did you get any advice on which MC sizes to use? My math lead me to use a 1" front and 3/4" rear on a 6.25:1 ratio Wilwood pedal box.

Next... What do you intend to do for drive shafts? I've seen stub axles for C5 uprights to go to Porsche bolting but they seem very expensive to me.

Thanks,

Doug, I did email tilton and give them all the info on how many pots,what diameter and the tilton assy that I am useing and they gave me the same as what you have come up with. But I will double check. The new C6 Z06 brakes sure are the cheapest way to have supercar braking.
As for the axels, the C5 shafts can have the inner CV's removed and simply put on some Porsche 930 CV's, they are the same spline. Then I need to make a spacer to correct the lenght since they will be a little short. It is standard to use a spacer on the 914 V8's that I have done before so I know it can be done with no trouble.

Chip,

Thanks that's useful information, I'm glad to hear I was not a million miles away from what Tilton came up with.

The funny thing about the brakes is that they're made in Australia (even though they cannot be bought here).

The info on the drive shafts is very interesting, I now have some working out to do there.

Thanks,

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Chip, thanks for the detail on the C5 to 930 axle connection. Could you post some photos of this detail? Per another post I just submitted a few minutes ago (C5 taper angle string), I've been wrestling with this conversion. Dutchmanaxles has a piece that inserts a 930 CV-conversion spindle into the bearing assembly, but your solution seems to be a much simpler (and cheaper) solution. So to verify; the inner C5 CV joint was disassembled, and a 930 CV joint was slid onto the spline instead? Were you required to cut new grooves to fix the 930 inner race location on the splines (use spacer, etc)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, if you remove the inner GM CV joint the 930 CV will fit the spline. I plan to make a spacer like I have in the past to get the length right and still use the GM axle's since I know they will hold the power. One thing I am wondering but have not checked out is if the inner spline fits a 930 then perhaps the outer spline is the same. Why not use only the outer GM CV with the spindle shaft with custom 930 axel's cut to length. If that works I dont need to make spacers, just buy custom lenth axels at any offroad shop here in southern california. I will have to tear down an axel later to see it that works. I was surprised the other end worked.

Also I put my Chassis up on some scales and it totaled 1790 lbs. A little more than I was shooting for but I will feel safe in it. The body is all that left really and I will make that as light as I can. Basic race body work with dzus fastners not planning on a show piece just a rocket ride.

Dave, I do make adapter plates sometimes in since I have my own machine bussiness. But only if I need to, they are cheap. I have a LS/G50-52 Kennedy package on the classifieds and cant get $450 for it.
Here is a picture of the 930 CV on the C5 axel.

DSC00014.jpg

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Chip. A picture is worth a thousand words. Looking forward to seeing if the outboard situation is the same...(wink, nod, hint). I've done the 930 inner/outer with Sway-away axles and it has worked out well. Their axles are reasonably priced and have a lot of spline (3") on each side allowing a lot of flexibility in cutting the correct grooves.

Yes, the outboard CV on the C5 suspension that I am useing has the same spline as the 930 CV. Option "A" is to use a spacer to get the correct length and a 930 CV on the inboard end of the factory C5 corvette axle or Option "B" that I am going to do which is to have new Axles made. Although the spline is the same, there is not a snap ring on the outer end of the C5 axle, it is more of a Hog Ring that is slightly larger deeper groove. I would have had time and money into makeing spacers and useing the C5 axles and I found a very reputalble qualified axle and gear maker that will do axles out of 300M for around $550/pair. He used to be local here in San Diego but recently set up shop in Kingman Arizona.
Mine will be here soon and will post pics but if you need something custom try
B&J engineering
928-681-4001

The outboard spline is going to be about .002" larger pitch diameter since that is what the factory did and is a snug fit and has no endplay in the axle. All the movement is on the inner 930 CV. Then he will machine the correct boot grooves so I can still use the C5 boots on the outside and the standard 930 boots on the inside. Should make for a nice clean package. Since my track width is so wide, if I had used spacers to space out away from the G50/52 and still use the C5 axle's, the spacer would have been 2.75" on each side. I see they do this on the FFR GTM but this is less work for me.

Just found this thread...

Awesome project, nice work Chip!

Looking forward to seeing the car with the bodywork on!

The 911 GT1 cars are some of my favourite GT racers ever and I am head over heals for Group C/ IMSA prototype cars!

How is the 962 coming, Chris? I am very, very interested in a Group C style kit.

Hi Chip,

I was looking on this page at the EMPI "IRS Race Axles" is there any reason you can see why the correct length 930 versions would not be appropriate to the setup you are putting together?

Thanks,

Doug, I think for my application there were two concerns with off the shelf axle's. Those are 4140 chromoly and I really felt I needed 300M material. The other is I wanted the C5 boot to fit correctly and it has different diameters on both ends than the standard 930 boot. This way I dont have to hunt for a special boot, just use the factory one.
If my track width had been just a little more narrow so that the spacers would not have been so thick, the ideal qwick cheap fix still would have been to use the factory C5 axles and put a 930 CV inboard.

I will have to get on your build site and see how it is coming along.

Just took everything apart and blasted the chassis and painted it. Right now in the reassembly stage but will post the first drive with out the body when I get it all back together.

Back