Gran Turismo 4

Yep - first port of call was the Nurburgring in a '92 Mitsubushi Lancer Turbo' - 9 min 23..

The ring has superb attention to detail of scenery etc and according to the write-up in Evo magazine, some 130,000+ digital photos were used in creation of GT4 - Awesome.

Unfortunately, had the visit to the ring been in a 'real' evo - I would probably still be suffering from concussion right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif - oops! (I must practice more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

lol lol lol yepp finally arrived also in here,and i already spent 3 nights gaming that (always start from the driving licenses,cause u will get some new cars for free also just making 3rd places on every test).

The only thing i do not like in GT serie is that u cannot have any real damage to the cars.
That makes u drive really more carefully and in my opinion better at all, but seems another time car manifacturers do not allow Poliphony digital to do that.

....and wonder why in gt serie all Japanese cars are always sooooo faster than others hihihi.

Anyway a great great game (the Nordschleife is very nice, also if the real thing is really more harder than this one..eheh)

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
do you use two steering wheels (like momo) with this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that steering wheels on PS2 seem to have a processing time delay so the car steering lags behind the steering input. Standard control gives me a quicker lap time. Anyone else notice this?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
[/ QUOTE ]

I find that steering wheels on PS2 seem to have a processing time delay so the car steering lags behind the steering input. Standard control gives me a quicker lap time. Anyone else notice this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Years ago I had a very nice Lincoln Continental Mark V with a built 460 in it, that went over a stop sign, through a fence, and somehow got parked up a tree backwards. I tied to tell the officer there was a delay in the steering input also. Due to the large quanity of 25oz. FOSTER cans in the car, they didn't beleive me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Regards Brian

Too funny Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif There should be a law against stop signs and fences jumping out in front of moving cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...spent all last night using a bug in gt4 and winning a lot of money.
At 150.000cr i IMMEDIATELY bought my ford gt, in dark blue...and add BBS le mans wheels...
mamma mia che bella macchina!!!!

Ah..with USB key u can take some fotos of your car from Gt4..

This game is a real drug:p:p

paul

Brett,

Which Logitech wheel are you getting? I'd be very interested how you find it. I have to get a wheel as not being a games freak I can't get on with dual-shock controller (nice though it is). I have read that the logitech wheel doesn't work with other games like WRC and F1. One comment also said it has a lag owing to the USB connection - or more likely the driver for the USB.

Can't wait as currently I keep driving the 427 Cobra along the barriers!!

David,
I will be going for the Driving Force Pro. This is the one they actually designed for GT4 and has a 2.4 lock to lock ability on it. See www.logitech.com

Then I'll be buying a cheap bucket seat and getting the welder out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brett

Logitech will knock one out at £107, the other sites out there, which are cheaper, but strangely they're all sold out at the moment. Cheapest I've found is £85.

Brett

For those interested, there is a McLaren F1 on GT4. Strangly though it is found under German -> BMW -> New cars.

A question to the US guys, what the heck is a 1962 Buick Special? The GT4 version is a 180 mph Rocket... surely no 1960s road car actually went that fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suspect that THIS is the actual car. The owner must be chuffed knowing that their car has been imortalized in GT4. Incidentally, you are permitted to race this thing in the pre-1970's world classic competition, which I suspect might be cheating a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm at a loss as to why some of the cars in the licence tests are as bad as they've been made out to be.
eg The BMW Mini in the B licence test at Tsukuba and the Nissan R32 GT-R in the A(13) test. As the owner of an R33 GT-R I can attest that they do not in fact understeer like a billy cart, nor do they have the steering response of a Land-Rover.
If I manufactured one of these cars and tried them in the GT4 licence tests I'd be sueing and getting them withdrawn from the game.
I suppose they're trying to exaggerate for the sake of the test but why not just leave the cars alone and make the times to be achieved faster?
Long live the only true driving simulator, Grand Prix Legends. GT4 and the rest are just games and certainly not to be taken this seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tim.

[ QUOTE ]
A question to the US guys, what the heck is a 1962 Buick Special? The GT4 version is a 180 mph Rocket... surely no 1960s road car actually went that fast

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not be familiar with the American "Buick Special" but you probably are familiar with the engine.

In the early 60's Buick built a light weight 215 CID V8 engine with an aluminum block, but after three years of production GM gave up on the engine. While visiting the US, someone from an English company came across one of these engines that someone was trying to put into a boat. The visitor thought it was an interesting engine and when he found out that GM had just stopped production on these engines, he arranged for his company to buy the tooling and the rights to the engine.

The company was Rover and the engine became the famous 3.5 Rover V8. This engine powered Land Rovers (until BMW bought Rover), Rover 3500s, TR8s, MGB V8s, TVRs, Morgan +8s, ....

As far as the Buick Special being a 180mph car in the game, I'm not sure where that came from. Though there was at least one road car using a Rover engine in England that achived 160+mph on a test track.

[ QUOTE ]
As the owner of an R33 GT-R I can attest that they do not in fact understeer like a billy cart, nor do they have the steering response of a Land-Rover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roadlin,
I think that there is a disclaimer somewhere. My opinion though is that the handling is reasonably close if you make some allowances. The first being that the default tyres are actually quite poor, so you will get more realistic handling when you fit "soft" rubber, second being that the representation of speed is not good so you sometimes find yourself traveling well above the speed that a car can take the corner (all cars will understeer if you go into a corner fast enough) and finally, PlayStation has a very slight lag in the control input, which I find very anoying. ANother consideration is that some of the cars that you are racing against are highly modified, making your "standard" car feel slow. Oh, and I wish I knew why my copy of Gran Prix Legends refuses to run on my PC... very frustrating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BenL,
Click on THIS link (also in my previous post) and I think (not sure) that the answer to its speed is there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm only talking about the license tests. The rest of the time I'm happy that it's a reasonable approximation. The Audi that comes after the GT-R test is almost too good in comparison.
I have just won a LeMan's Nissan 350Z race car that I am doing completely unrealistic things in. My Evo is in the 56's at Tsukuba and will probably go faster as I'm being fairly cautious at a couple of points.
I've got one spectacular replay (The long road circuit with the vaguely hammerhead shape) where the car leaves the road (takes flight over a hump) clears a wall and then something strange happens and I land back on the track on all four wheels. Absurd but fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't really have much of a lag issue but I do occasionally appear to get a stuck throttle. It's not a physical problem with the pedal.

GPL does have a few issues with some hardware (and software) but when it works it's one hell of a simulator.

Tim.

[ QUOTE ]
(The long road circuit with the vaguely hammerhead shape) where the car leaves the road (takes flight over a hump)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, just before the tunnel. I have noticed this too. I've looked at that closely. You don't actually clear the wall... it actually continues up as an invisible wall. Unfortunately, the physics seem to only be correct as long as the car is close to the ground. Cars won't roll either so they will always land on their wheels.. which has been an issue with all Gran Turismo versions.

[ QUOTE ]
I will be going for the Driving Force Pro. This is the one they actually designed for GT4 and has a 2.4 lock to lock ability on it. See www.logitech.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone suggest a PC racing game that takes advantage of a "Force Feedback" steering wheel?

Currently, I'm having fun starting out with Grand Prix Legends. I think this will keep me occupied for a while as I try to figure out how to complete a lap without the car doing a pirouette on my helmet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not sure whether you know but Grand Prix Legends uses force feedback. You need to set it up in the 'core.ini' file. Theres a line in the [joy] section. Set 'allow_force_feedback = 1'.

There are notes in the 'raeadme' file about it.

The other game which I have used is Grand Prix 4. If you like F1 this is the best.

BTW I find Legends very difficult the other cars are so damn fast!! However with the force feedback you can genuinely feel you are doing a four wheel drift round the turns.

Back