Graziano gear position and display

For anyone using a dash system that can display gear position how did you go about getting that set up? For context, I'm looking at using the AIM PDM setup, and that will conveniently calculate a gear position based on vehicle speed and RPM, but what if I wanted a remote start that would be disabled if the car were in gear? Or maybe where indicated gear position would be incorrect i.e. coasting at idle in neutral but the vehicle still has forward speed? Did a search for some sort of position sensor and came up empty handed.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I can't comment on the gear position sensor because I don't have a Graz, but your PDM should ensure that the clutch is engaged before engine start. That's what OEM's do and it makes things safe irrespective of gear position. I have pressure transducers on the clutch, front brake and rear brake master cylinders.

Joel K

Supporter
For anyone using a dash system that can display gear position how did you go about getting that set up? For context, I'm looking at using the AIM PDM setup, and that will conveniently calculate a gear position based on vehicle speed and RPM, but what if I wanted a remote start that would be disabled if the car were in gear? Or maybe where indicated gear position would be incorrect i.e. coasting at idle in neutral but the vehicle still has forward speed? Did a search for some sort of position sensor and came up empty handed.

Jeff,

I don’t have an exact solution for you. Not sure which remote start system you are considering but I have looked at the documentation for the Compustar Remote Start for cars with manual transmissions. I was looking at it for its PKE functionality and not the remote start.

I can tell you the shutdown procedure is very specific so the Remote Start Module knows it is in neutral when the car was shut off. From memory, it looks to see if clutch is not depressed, engine is running , speed is zero, and parking brake engaged. Those combined variables may be interpreted as “in neutral“. The system may also look for a Neutral signal as well. Now the system is set into a mode to enable remote start after the car is shut off. When remote starting it will monitor engine revs and any forward movement. Shut down the remote start if necessar.

I don’t plan on adding that functionality just due to the fact it is complicated and want to avoid my SLC turning into the car from the movie Christine.

I don’t recall the specifics of the AIM Gear Calculator table, but there are two ways to program it. I thought it can sense neutral when you are coasting, but I could be wrong. I believe there is a switch on the Graz to signal reverse.

Last edited:
I appear to be following in your footsteps, Joel. I am also considering the Compustar setup thanks to the AIO remote features. I'm sure I can wire up a neutral position sensor that would be useful for reasons such as neutral safety switch and remote start, but was hoping to find something that would work for direct measure of gear position instead of inferred. Even digging through Gallardo and Audi parts sites I can only find E-Tron and hydraulic position sensors, no manual transmission sensors. I'll ask over at Lamborghini-Talk in the Gallardo section and see what comes up.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Get paddle shifters and you get a gear indicator and I am pretty sure the output from that can be fed into any of the displays.
For stock 6 speed- look down and see what gear you are in. Clutch interlock safety switch is used for starting the car. I think it comes with the kit from Fran. My GTR did.

The Graz has no gear sensors other than reverse ("Backup-Lamp Switch" as they call it in the manual). This is the "sensor" that is mounted on the Shift Unit cover. You could use switches like the existing reverse switch to make a "Neutral Switch" (sense when linkage is centered linear & rotary). Could even do a proper gear sensor with 2 linear potentiometer.... but that would be a good bit of work. Could also do it on the shifter side, but not sure I would want to trust that for remote start. You may want to also require parking brake to be engaged for remote start.

Neil

Supporter
The Graz has no gear sensors other than reverse ("Backup-Lamp Switch" as they call it in the manual). This is the "sensor" that is mounted on the Shift Unit cover. You could use switches like the existing reverse switch to make a "Neutral Switch" (sense when linkage is centered linear & rotary). Could even do a proper gear sensor with 2 linear potentiometer.... but that would be a good bit of work. Could also do it on the shifter side, but not sure I would want to trust that for remote start. You may want to also require parking brake to be engaged for remote start.
This was done on the showroom Manta Mirage to keep it from being started with the parking brake off. The little red button forward of the parking brake handle is a microswitch.
Manta 2 Chassis-8.jpg

I'll admit. I'm planning one to run 2 fuel pumps to keep a surge tank full and the 2 tanks balanced, and give a single fuel level signal to a gauge.

Back