gt40 diff.

I race a Shelby Can Am that came from the factory with a spool(equivalent to welded diff.).

The spool certainly puts power down well (I know Porsche used spools on all its high powered sports racers throughout the 70s-80s; they may still). Not surprisingly, it tends to push the nose under power in tight turns (thus it works better at open, fast tracks like Daytona). And it makes the car a BITCH to push around in the pits!

When you trundle around in the pits, you can hear the inside rear wheel scrabbling to keep up as you turn. I imagine a spool(or welded diff.)would be a real PITA on the street.

Jack

I always wondered why limited slip or locking diffs were so uncommon in European cars? They are an option on any North American full size pickup truck.

The factory LSD unit in my old 98' F150 completely blew up taking the ring gear and everything inside the pumpkin with it. Cost me new bearings, axles, ring gear, and I put in an Eaton carbon cone unit. Sold that truck to a friend and he's put another 100k kms on it no problems. It still locks up real good in the rain/snow for nice sideways action on throttle.

I need to install one in my 01' F250 crewcab 7.3L powerstroke. With the 4" turbo-back exhaust, dp-tuner.com tunes (140hp aggressive on top of the stock 250hp) and boat loads of torque.... well.... that one rear tire just goes up in holy hell smoke. Once she hooks that 8500lb truck takes off like a raped ape. LOL

In any case, you can pickup basic LSD units for $400 and up brand new depending on the pickup.

I never understood why the Quaiffe units are $1500+ or whatever. Kind of a joke.

I never understood why the Quaiffe units are $1500+ or whatever.

An LSD for a North American pickup starts at $400+.

The 98' F150 I had came with an LSD but that unit literally blew up (I dunno if it was the Mustang shift kit I put in or not) - not enough meat on the spider gear carrier. Took everything inside the pumpkin out incl my axles. Needed everything including bearings. $2400 all-in with a new Eaton carbon plate LSD. Sold that truck to my buddy who put another 100k kms on it since and she still grabs both tires like the day I put it in.

My F250 superduty crew 4x4 7.3L powerstroke needs an LSD badly.... since I installed the 4" turbo-back exhaust, shift kit, intake, dp-tuner.com tunes, triple clutch torque converter..... on even the 80hp econo tune (on top of the 250 stock hp) the 800+ftlbs just lights up the one back tire into clouds of smoke. With the 140hp aggressive tune once she hooks up that 8500lb truck takes off like a raped ape and 125+mph is no problem. Runs out of revs before running out of power. Just ask that jerk in the Audi who cut me off bad last month. I could see his big eyeballs in his rearview mirror as he wizzed his pants with me 6" off his bumper at over 100mph. I guess he thought he had a fast car. :evil: Sometime this year I gotta replace the high pressure oil pump with an adrenaline unit so I get more power at high rpm. Runs out of oil pressure to fire the injectors properly in the hot tune.

In any case, I wonder why the LSD options for the European machinery is so damn expensive. I guess it's a matter of sales volume. Lots of pickups on the road.

Bmw one is anyway really welldone, one of the best on such type of cars.
The m3 had it and was the 50% of that car (quite perfect for use on the road and on tracks).They make too many luxury optional....this one NO, u had to ask it when u order the car,so is nearly impossible to find it today in car cemetery (and I found nearly everything there...rims, leather interiors, airbags,anc complete engines for very few money.For e36 is a paradise, consider they nearly disappear from the road.As my local forum says, my car is one of the nicest down here, and original 100% in every bolt,excluding the engine with bigger heads,eprom and "forged" piston, dunno how u call theme,coming from a "is" Group A car, more or less as the SCCA specifications.).
Will be interesting to know if I can see from outside before buying it if the lsd is ok.There isnt any test I can do with my hands there?Some told me to try move the 2 sides with hands, if it moves means something inside is damaged.replace the clouchs inside is anyway cheap, about 10 euros for all the set,original bmw.

Quaife product are excellent, but a little too expensive for my wallet (and for this type of car,searching one just for my little fun and safe drive on the snow. Drive a rwd on ice is a real pain otherwise)

Back