GT40 IV Ebay

Currently on US Ebay is a MK IV. Not sure how good, quality etc, but it looks nice. Not my car, not any connection, just for folks to see. Scott t

Thanks for posting this. Seems reasonable considering accuracy, t44 trans, etc. I think Kenny Thompson ones have now jumped well into the 7 figure range.

The name Bill Peters rings a bell with me, I joined in late 2005 and it was around then I found some photos of that car in its build, think it was built out of spare MKIV parts etc, were several pcs of the T44 in bits, input shaft was built up from Top Loader shaft with extension etc, some detail work of roof/spider etc.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
It would be difficult to vintage race as is is not a licensed continuation car which some clubs accept, several clubs do not accept continuation cars at all unless it is a guest from another VSCDA Club. Now for a track day car, well pretty cool. So a limited market for sure.

All I know is that our vintage racing association only accepts originals....everything from a Hillman Imp to an original GT40 or Ferrari 512. If it wasn't built before 1969 then it doesn't race.

Pretty straight forward.

Rob Klein

Supporter
You either have an original or you don't end of story. I love my SPF GT 40, and it's as close as I will ever get to owning an original unless I hit the lottery

The eBay add is an odd way to attempt to get $600K for a car. The pictures alone make you wonder...
There are 6 and seven figure cars on Ebay quite often.Some sell. Some dont. People use Ebay to get the word out that a car is for sale.See some pretty cool stuff on there.

All I know is that our vintage racing association only accepts originals....everything from a Hillman Imp to an original GT40 or Ferrari 512. If it wasn't built before 1969 then it doesn't race.

Pretty straight forward.
Sorry Cliff, but SOVREN and VARA now accept replicas.
Even the GT40 from Renton is a Safir.

Sorry Cliff, but SOVREN and VARA now accept replicas.
Even the GT40 from Renton is a Safir.

Hi Dave,

No apology needed. Thanks, that's news to me. Haven't been vintage racing in a few years now.

An unfortunate/unwise change in my opinion.

Cliff,

Understand your sentiment but Vintage racing is dying a slow death. As the wealthy owners get even older and the vehicle value skyrockets even higher , there is even less incentive to drive these cars at speed .....The Europeans have started to embrace idea this which is why the near majority of GT40's, Cobras and similar like them raced in Europe are tool room cars from Gelscoe and others. SVRA has embraced the concept as has other sanctioning bodies here in the US. Promoters have realized that the public is just not that interested in only seeing small bore, relatively cheap, British cars buzzing around the circuit all day-they want to see the Cobras, -40's, Lolas, Can Am cars run. IMO, an FIA papered tool room car is absolutely appropriate to vintage race as they have to be dead nuts correct to the period.....

It is just the cold, hard reality of the situation.

Most of the geezers and portfolio guys that own alot of these cars are out of the game...

JM

Back