GT40 Mark I Replica project car for sale:

This "prototype" was the car John Hester initially sold me as a turnkey, but never finished.
My recollection is that George (KMW) did a nice job on the chassis, including a steel roof,
but the body panels were from old molds (Integrity/Donnelly) and may not be up to par.
However for $ 35k....I doubt anyone could touch a steel mono.
Mike Duell got a great deal....a case of being in the right place at the right time.

MikeD

I noticed the car didn't sell on epay. The angle of the driveshafts puzzles me-is that normal with this transmission. I emailed the owner and he said the ride height had not been set but that is obviously not the reason-may not be important with cv joints I suppose.

Keith

Just to clarify a point made earlier which someone made concerning this example being a "steel mono".

In the "Upay" description it is a "semi-mono"

It's either of true monocoque construction or it's a spaceframe that has been extensively panelled, right?

If I'm wrong, what is a "semi-mono" please?

Keith

This car is absolutely not a panelled space frame...but it isn't 100 % faithful mono either.
George took some liberties to ease construction, yet the visible sections were very close
to original.

One thing must correct.....the car had a steel roof liner....not a complete steel roof.
George was working the kinks out of the steel roof when he and Mr. Hester parted ways.
This is a still a lot of replica for $ 35k...for those with the skills to complete.

MikeD

Keith

Thanks for the reply Mike. So in effect it is a prototype and a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of it's structural integrity...

I'm still curious as what a "semi-mono" is, but I would guess it's a chassis formed of load bearing sheet metal with internal bracing.... :)

This "prototype" was the car John Hester initially sold me as a turnkey, but never finished.
My recollection is that George (KMW) did a nice job on the chassis, including a steel roof,
but the body panels were from old molds (Integrity/Donnelly) and may not be up to par.
However for $ 35k....I doubt anyone could touch a steel mono.
Mike Duell got a great deal....a case of being in the right place at the right time.

MikeD

Mike, Can you tell us any more? Is the body unusable? Any comment on my transaxle question? How old is this car?
Thanks, David

Keith

No question this is a 1-off car. But George was/is an excellent fabricator so
I didn't have serious concerns about it's integrity. After riding motorcycles for years,
any " crumple zone" is a bonus.

David

I never took possession of the car...only received pictures.
You'd have to inspect the body to determine whether to fix or replace it.
Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with a little experience.

Regarding the tranny, I agree that the axle angle is high, but suspect a combination of adjustment and/or different coil overs would improve the angle to a more manageable level.
Again...this is a 1-off car...frequently referred to (with pride) on the Forum by owners
as " scratchbuilt ".

MikeD

Hi guys,
Took me three days to figureout that my support for the site had run out and I was no longer allowed to post in some sections. I will try to answer some of the questions you may have, but keep in mind I am in Upstate N.Y. and the project is in Chambly, Quebec. Please no comments on what I paid for the car, I have a good guess at it value and I need the cash right now.

I was not given a lot of history on the car when I picked it up. Mike Dozier seems to actaully have more. I do have the build pictures on CD. There are not that many and they aren't great, but I will share them. The car is as Mike described it. It is a monocoque with internal bracing. This is known in the aircraft and racing industry as semi-monocoque. The body needs the most work. It is not a complete basket case, but will require a lot of time. I was quoted between $30 to $40,000 for a complete tear down of the car, powdercoat, bodywork, and everything else rebuilt to his normal high quality. With all systems running and the car completely finish by Don at D&D Cobra. That is why I sent it to Chambly. However, my real estate and sofware companies could use the cash more right now so I'm selling it off. I actaully almost had it sold to a potential buyer who was going to purchase turn ten Racing, but the deal did not go through. The project will need work and adjustment, but I believe a very nice running car with a visually acurate chassis can be finished for around $75,000.00 after everthing is added up.

P.S. please email any "off-line" messages to [email protected], I never seem to get any mail from the forum.

Thanks,

Mike Duell

Mike,
I just wonder why u wont finish the car.
u are not a private enthusiast working in spare time, u are a serious professionist,and with your skill that 1-off gt40 will become something too special and with great performances.

Surely when done as u can..the car can be valued also more than 75k.

Just my humble opinion Mike..

Mike,
I just wonder why u wont finish the car.
u are not a private enthusiast working in spare time, u are a serious professionist,and with your skill that 1-off gt40 will become something too special and with great performances.

Surely when done as u can..the car can be valued also more than 75k.

Just my humble opinion Mike..

I would love to finish the GT, however, I have some opportunities that take precedence over my need for these types of cars at the moment. I’ve recently parted with a few cars that I wish I didn’t have too in order to complete a good business deal. Wish I didn’t have too, but it almost always pays off later. I also do not have any time. Between my two daughters, two companies, wife and others things I have zero time. If things workout I will build something else later down the road.

:D

Thanks,

Mike

Back