Gt40 wanted

Thomas, believe me I am not trying to insult you or put you down with this post. I really believe you would be much better off looking at a creampuff used Viper or Corvette for the money you have to spend. Both of these cars will scare the crap out of you performancewise, and for $50K you can buy great examples of either car. Why get whats available at the low end of the spectrum re GT40's when you can get a truly fine example of a car that's in your budget.
There is always time to get a great car now, and wait for the right GT40 in the future when you can truly afford a fine example that is within you budget. (In my opinion, thats going to be between the mid $80 thousands to $130,000.)
Just my .02 cents.

Mike

Thanks for the input, Mike but I must respectfully disagree. I've been seeing some pretty nice cars which are complete and sorted in my price range thus far. Lots of guys are "asking" but nothing is selling in the $80-130K range these days. Most makers seem to be evolving to the mono type of arrangement which is making the better examples of the frame based cars much more affordable to guys like me. Also, I already have a Z06 and did the big block mid-year 'Vette thing some years back. I'll just keep looking for a GT-40 which has been a dream of mine for a long time. No time like the present.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know a better definition for "you get what you pay for" than the purchase of a GT40.

Due to the economy you may come across a desparate seller but call yourself lucky because most the guys that either bought the more expensive cars or the guys who have built the quality cars don't need to "dump" them. And the reason the $80k and up range may be sitting is there's not a large pool of people in good times much less in down times that want to throw cash at a specialty car like this.

Also, don't take "sorted" lightly, that's a understatement in most cases. Anything truly sorted for serious use will demand more $. GT40's just take that much to get them right. Either you spend the money now or spend it later, you will spend it guananteed. And frankly, it's cheaper to buy it already sorted than to do it yourself. Now if you like DIY projects then by all means find that car, but money and time are not mutually exclusive here.

Also, don't take "sorted" lightly, that's a understatement in most cases. Anything truly sorted for serious use will demand more $. GT40's just take that much to get them right. Either you spend the money now or spend it later, you will spend it guaranteed. And frankly, it's cheaper to buy it already sorted than to do it yourself. Now if you like DIY projects then by all means find that car, but money and time are not mutually exclusive here.

Bold text added by Kevin

This is very sound advice... my only add-on to this statement is to make sure you define what "sorted" actually means to you and the seller, try to ensure those definitions are in the same ball park.

One small note, if you are a newbie to engines, at least try to understand a bit of the engine's characteristics and/or post the profile of it on this forum. A little knowledge of how high strung the engine is will help to predict the maintenance required.

Kevin

Thanks for the helpful advice, guys.

I'm thinking "sorted" means everything (gauges, A/C, heat, cooling) is working properly, no grinding or weird noises from the gearbox, paint and panel alignment is nicely done, doors and hood close properly, weather tight, no harshness or vibration at speed, no smoke, no leaks, etc. I'm using for street use, I'm not too much worried about very high speed track performance.

Did I miss anything? Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

As someone said earlier, either spend it now or spend it later. I'm wanting to buy one that is ready to enjoy. I'm an engineer and have worked on my own cars for decades, but I'm not really a mechanic, if that makes any sense. I've restored a Porsche 356C, '66 'Vette, '66 El Camino, etc, but this time, instead of doing a lot of footwork and repairing, I just want a nice example to call my own for a while; perhaps doing small improvements, but most likely not.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
If there are so many cars available at your price point I would assume you must have found one after almost two months of looking?

No?

Pat and John, True words. I'm certainly not trying to be rude to Thomas but I'm aware there have been some great deals out there (right now!) and I've had a few friends ask me to look out for 40's for sale and then when I mention those being offered they all of a sudden stop calling or become shy. I can only guess many people really want you to think they are interested but many don't have the follow up and waste a great deal of time of those offering. John I know your car is tasty and offered at a very good price. Continued good luck. It will sell.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Pat and John, True words. I'm certainly not trying to be rude to Thomas but I'm aware there have been some great deals out there (right now!) and I've had a few friends ask me to look out for 40's for sale and then when I mention those being offered they all of a sudden stop calling or become shy...l.

....and on the other side of this coin, it's obvious how small the pool of buyers there really is for for such cars (used anyway).

From the day I bought my GT40 I have always considered it a hobby car so as not to be disappointed in the money spent (not invested!) vs the amount it may or may not sell for. Now that I think about it, it's likely to stay in my garage simply because I'd just as soon keep it than sell it at the current market prices.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Pat I feel the same way. Currently, I have a serious buyer trying to work out the details but if falls on the wayside, I'm pulling off the market. I'm selling because I'm retiring and moving. I will keep the car have it titled and then ask top price. And will get it. My car is offered at a big discount. But this economy you have a lot of folks saying "Im looking for a car for a friend" In reality..a car at this level never needs a friend to find it for them. Ex. Please friend can you find a Bently for me. Gt40 owners can see through the smoke immediately.
Just my thoughts.

Back