Headroom: 6’6” Without A Bubble!

A few observations about fitting in a CAV GT. Just a couple of shots to show head room in the post #100 CAV GT chassis. The first photo is of Lana and Jean. She is a very tall, nice young lady measuring in at 6’2” with Jean by her side measuring in at about 5’10”. In the second photo you can see she has another 4” above her head without a Gurney Bubble, so 6’6” will fit with no problem. A couple of other things: you can easily slide in and out of the car without taking the steering wheel off and what’s more, there’s plenty of room when you’re in there to move your legs around in the cockpit, a really important consideration if you’re behind the wheel for more than an hour. Both seats are adjustable forward and aft as well as up and down, then lock into position. Full sliders can be fitted for a shorter driver for no extra charge. The pedal box is also adjustable forward and aft to get the ideal driving position.
Please, please “test drive” the ergonomics, there is a world of difference.
www.vipclassics.com
CAV GT Importer - 619 708 3180

Attachments

• Side Lana.JPG
    Side Lana.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 657
  • Lana 6  2(scaled).JPG
    Lana 6 2(scaled).JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 672

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Roy, what if any modifications were made to the CAV's post chassis number 100? Does this car have a dropped floor? I'm a little skeptical about the photo as there are no clear numbers on the tape measure. What I can make out is an apparrant dark spot on the tape measure at eye level for Lana. That is presumably a foot reading i.e. 6 feet per your representation. If that is the 6 foot mark, than Lana appears to be at least 6'4" per the tapes other marks. If that is the case, then you should be able to fit a very tall person, maybe 7' in the CAV. How about a shot with Lana measured against the cinder block wall for a reference and a shot of her sitting in the car showing her body contour and not hid behind a closed door?

I would like to see the seats and I would be interested to see how they have found the extra space. I don't fit in an SPF with a bubble with a helmet and I am 6'2. I fit in an RCR, but I don't think I could be much bigger. 6'6 without the bubble would really be roomy! I would like to see more.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Don't forget that it's really about torso/neck/head length and not just overall height that matters with respect to headroom. I'm 5'9" but I have a long torso/short legs (which comes in handy for, well, nothing :)) and I just clear the roof of my GT with a helmet on, while my friend is 6'2" with "normal" proportions and has at least the same clearance with a helmet on in the same car.

Al

Greg.
Your point is well taken. 6'2" and then she has some heels. So 6'4" is about right.
If you are close to Freeport NY or San Diego then I can arrange for you to sit in one. Yes you have to take out the underseat adjustable padding and angle yourself a bit but if you are 6'6" you're probably eating too many Wheaties anyway. We can also do a Gurny.
The point is there's loads more room in the post 100 chassis. Autofutura has worked wonders.

Here's another shot, but it's all I have. Lana, is in South Africa. But I hope this gives you a better idea. The only real way is to try it for yourself, as everbody has a different physique.

Attachments

• Lana inside.JPG
    Lana inside.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 658

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Roy, very nice! I'm six three and I have no problem with my early CAV - don't know what I'd do with all that extra headroom! Maybe wear a cowboy hat? Overhead DVD? Anyway, keep up the great work!

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Roy, I have sat in CAV's before and don't recall the headroom for a 6'6" person. You state Auto Futura has worked wonders in obtaining headroom for vehicles post number 100, but you don't elaborate. That's why I asked if there were any modifications made to the chassis. Were there any modifications or are you just eliminating the bottom seat cushion entirely and then adjusting the seat on a steep angle just fit a tall person? Additionally I notice that there is no dash in the vehicle Lana is sitting in. How would the installation of the dash and steering wheel affect the drivers ability to "angle" oneself. Thanks.

By the way, that blue CAV you listed in eye candy is smokin!

Back