help with upholstery

Gents, I am trying to get my seats sorted out. They are fiberglass race buckets that currently have no padding. I bought some 1" blue Confor foam which I think will do the trick of increasing comfort. Question is how to cover it and with what, and how to secure it to the shells. Is bonding cloth to the foam a good start for a seating surface? Do I need to do the same on the back of the foam? Wish I was handy with a sewing machine, but this kind of stuff is completely out of my wheelhouse. I want the foam removable because it's an open top car, and may get wet at some point. Any tips for covering my seats is appreciated.

Hi Tom,

I foamed my seats right inside the car, using rigid polyurethane 40g/l density foam. After peeling of the trash bag, which was used for foaming in place, I coverved the seat in alcantarra, using Pattex spray glue. Here is the result:
GT40P2240 molded seats  - 1.jpg

The only two mishaps were :
1. fogot (or too lazy?) to mask the surrounding area with painters tape, hence the PU spillage stains, which will take patience and time to get off.
2. the seatbacks are too low. Therefore heat from the firewall warms ones shoulders more than needed for comfort.

So I'll do them again. I also wonder where to attach the upper end of the seat back. Any hint or idea is appreciated.

that's a nice set up. The virtue of that hard foam is that it is not going to move around, so bonding the fabric is relatively easy. I may elect just to cover the entire sheet of Confor foam with cloth, drop it into place, and deal with the folding of fabric that happens when forced into complex curves. I guess if I only cover the upper side, it won't be too terrible. Unless I get a stretch fabric - that might solve the problem.

Back