help!!

last night I started my ls376 for the first time. ran it for about 5mins and seemed to get hot but fans did not come on so I shut it down. one fan started once i shut down the engine and key was in off position. i disconnected the battery for the night and now the one fan comes on and stays on as soon I connect the battery even with key in off position. also now when I turn the key to start the engine the 20amp starter fuse blows.

At first I thought about a air pocket in the system and the heated water not hitting the radiator fan thermo switch. Upon shut down and cooling, the trapped air sometimes moves/purges and then the heated water somehow made it to the thermo switch. Cooling fans will sometimes run (based on how it's wired) with the car off - till the water reaches the switch setting. The 2nd part of your issue - don't know, so many variables. I don't have the car yet, but it might be useful for others to know what number car you have and electrical control system re: older fuse system or ISIS etc.

Jay probably didn't help much but just some thoughts - Mike

now when I turn the key to start the engine the 20amp starter fuse blows.

That sounds like the easiest place to start, as that wiring should be simpler. I'd check around the starter motor and solenoid (I don't know if they're combined on yours) and look for any shorts. If there's nothing obvious, then I'd disconnect the solenoid and see if the fuse still blows.

Disconnected the GM harness from the ISIS system and fan is still on. Could the A/C wiring be delivering it constant power even though I don't have the A/C connected.

After retracing all my steps and the fan is still on I cut the power wire that goes to the fan that was constantly on and now the car starts up and does not blow the #5 rear cell 20amp fuse anymore. I am going to reconnect the GM harness and run for a few minutes. Is it possible for the relay that powers the fan from the GM harness to send a code that stays in the ISIS and can I reset this?

Back