Hi All (again)

Hi Guys,
My name is Dave from Johannesburg South Africa. I have a MKIII kit which I am building. I was going to change the car to a MKI but decided against it. Does anybody have any pictures of the MKIII to help me get it as close to original as possible.Can anyone tell me how the side windows worked. (wind up, pivot or fixed?). Did the exhausts exit in the middle as the MKI.There are not many pics on the web for this model so any help is appreciated.
kind regards
Dave

Hi Dave

I'm not sure about the exhaust but I have seen the side windows.

They are each made of 2 sections. The from section is a triangle which comes down from the top front corner. It is fixed.

The rear section, which is more or less rectangular, has a hinge where it attaches to the front section. The rear section pivots outward at the rear. It has a little latch which allows the rear to swing out by about 50mm. The latch allows the window to be pulled inward and locked.

It works just like the rear side windows on some of the Japanese 2 door cars of the 60s and 70s. The window swings out at the rear to create a gap round the rear edge. It does not swing out very far.

I hope this makes sense

John

Mark III exhaust consisted of short exhaust manifolds (they looked like 289 Mustang cast exhaust manifolds bolted on upside down on opposite sides of the engine), extension pipes that ran just about straight toward the back just outside of the engine width, into small roundish mufflers with tail pipes that exited under the tail section just about under the tailights. A cross over tube connected the extension pipes and traversed the chassis just about over the crossmember from which hung the transaxle. A couple of the older GT40 books show Mark III engine bays where the exhaust configuration is clearly seen.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Dave,

Peter Ransom of GT40s Australia makes a MKIII window kit which can be fitted as an option on his DRB MK1's. There should be some pics at www.gt40australia.com

Otherwise, there were some pics in a previous thread about the DRB monthly BBQ's.

Peter D.

Back