High Milage & the GT40

No doub the GT40 is an awesome car... I mean just one beautiful ride.

I'll be in the market for a unique car within the next 12 months - and I like to drive. I've taken it to extremes at times finishing al 50 states (all driven to except Hawaii and Alaska) in 5 weeks for a project I was working on. Did it once for a marketing gig - 48 lower states in 6 and a half days (that was way too much).

But anyway - you can tell I really do like to drive. My question is this; if I purchase a Ford GT40 can I put some miles on her? What heavy costs will hit me? I assume the eninge is rock solid and will last a long time - am I right here?

Thanks for your thoughts and input - ! _steve

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Steve,

Can you please specify whether you mean a Ford GT40 (ala mid 60's) or do you mean a Ford GT (ala 2005/2006). My guess is that you mean the latter. I don't mean to be picayune, but there is a huge difference between the two (at least in the eyes of most here.)

Lynn

Howard Jones

Supporter
Off the top of my head I wouldn't think it would be much different than a Corvette except more fun. Both are modern cars and will have reliability as good as any other new American car. Plenty of Ford dealers nation wide if something comes up. Parts may be a little more difficult for the GT than a Corvette but I am sure you could get it fixed eventually.

They are about the same size and weight and both are very fast. Performance wise on a long road trip I would think that you would find them very similar. Limited space for luggage is the one issue I can think of but if you travel a lot you know how to deal with that. One set of extra cloths and stay where the hotel can clean yesterdays set overnight, etc.

Steve from reading and talking to some of the guys on the other forum, mileage is not a problem. Also the cars seems to be holding its value even with fairly large miles #s on them. Time will tell. But I think these will hold their value better than most of the newer (2004-2006) cars out there including lambos, vettes and ferrari.

But anyway - you can tell I really do like to drive. My question is this; if I purchase a Ford GT40 can I put some miles on her? What heavy costs will hit me? I assume the eninge is rock solid and will last a long time - am I right here?

Thanks for your thoughts and input - ! _steve

If you are talking about the 05/06 FGT - the car isn't bad at all. Last year I spent two days in the car for a total of ~1,400 miles. It was comfortable and quite an eye catcher. Really have to look out for the rubber neckers that while driving try to take a picture of you with their cell phones while drifting into your lane:cussing:

The biggest problem is the amount of space for clothes etc. The trunk space is no bigger than a case of beer. If you have clothes to hang - get a suction cup to stick on the rear glass behind the seats to hang the clothes. BTW - the car does not have any cup holders - just a drivers car!

The biggest problem is the amount of space for clothes etc. The trunk space is no bigger than a case of beer. If you have clothes to hang - get a suction cup to stick on the rear glass behind the seats to hang the clothes. BTW - the car does not have any cup holders - just a drivers car!

Second that, it is a real issue. I have a buddy with one who lives 2.5 hours away. He and his wife cannot come to visit in the car - it is impossible to get enough stuff for a single night's stay in the car. Now he has come up with it, but that's with his stuff in the passenger seat. It is definitely a driver's car!

Back