Historic Races and GT40 Replicas

I am intrested in finding out if any of the GT40 replicas qualify for historic racing. Are some makes (excluding H-M's, I know they are but I don't have $200K) more accepted or is it up to each race group.

G

To my knowledge the only non-original GT40 allowed by most vintage sanctioning bodies is the one built by Lee Hollman. They are part-for-part exact (even down to $1800 wiper motors)copies of the original Mk IIs. Lee will build you one for around $500K with side oiler and Kar Kraft transmission.

Lynn

G

Thanks for the info GT40 MKII. I've contacted the SVRA with a view to going to the US for the odd race and they've asked details of the cars which might make the trip from the UK. Something may well come of it. I'd rather make that effort than argue with a brick wall for our UK Series to let us run bigger than 225 tyres - frankly it's been bloody dangerous and we've had enough.
I'm obliged to you for giving a balding old sod something nice to look forward to, even if it comes to nowt. Kind regards, Bob.

I agree, I think let us race in a sanctioning body, or we will race elsewhere. As for not using a t least stock tire size, why do that, what they dont want your car safe?

G

Gee Bob, didn't know you were going bald. Must be long time no see!

Malcolm

G

GT40 MKII - Long story but simply - the Cobra contigent who dominated the series don't like gettin' beat. We have bitten their ankles resulting in our Hoosiers being banned and reduced to Yokohama A008 225/60x15 on an 8" max rim - then a 250kg weight penalty up to 1200kg - we can now run a 16" wheel - but with an additional 50kg penalty. etc etc . That's 5 cars hey've lost this year from their grids. Bottom line is that whatever we do they don't like it and the speeds and resulting forces being produced to overcome these handicaps are producing ever bizarre handling characteristics and with increasingly serious accidents are making the chances of life being considerably shorter! So there we have it, politics and bull***t - where would the world be without it!
It has been a while Malcolm - two daughters; one nearly 4 and the other two (must get the television mended).
Kind regards, Bob.

I had no idea that you were being forced to run 225's in racing, I too believe that it’s unhealthy. I run 225's when I race a fwd 115hp car, to think of trying to make a 350hp+ car be competitive is crazy. Let me know if there is anything I can do from the states to help get the cars approved to race. While I am about 5years from turning a key on a GT-40 of my own, I had planed from the start to build one to be raced in order to keep the history going.
Jonathan Faught

Back