ID tags

All the "GT40" tubs were built by Lola/Ford (GT/101~GT/105), or FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles) GT/106!Gt/112 and production chassis P1000~P108?
using Tennant panels. I believe all the chassis left England with the "Ford" ID plates.
the MK-II chassis were shipped incomplete to Shelby American at LAX for completion by the various race teams, Holman-Moody, Alan Mann or Shelby American. There are photos suggesting during this process the cars may have gotten new ID plates, and later Holman-Moody added their ID plates to MK-IIB modified chassis and also chassis later rebuilt at HM.
all the J car / MK-IV chassis received the plain Ford ID plates at Kar Kraft.

regards,
jp
I think you will find that when Eric Broadley was hired by Ford He was not involved with Lola during this time. So no Lola involvement in the Ford GT40 project. Even though Lola moved to 826 Yeovil Road and FAV were 827 Yeovil Road. Sure Lola continue to make cars; but no direct competitor to the Ford GT40 project! Until Eric Broadley had left Ford and produced the successful 1965/66 Lola T70 Can Am Spyder and the 1967 Lola T70 Coupe but that was separate from FAV. In fact when I spoke to Alan Grant he told me that 827 FAV was use for storage (he was involved in GT/103 GT/104). So when Lola move from Bromley this resulted in FAV using Lolas facilitates. But GT/101 to GT/105 were FAV built. Or to be pedantic GT/103 and GT/104 were shipped to Shelby and modified where GT/103 won the Daytona in 1965. Eric Broadley actually stated that no Ford GT/GT40's were Lolas.
Also JWAE is John Willment Automotive Engineering.
Sources are Ronnies Spains book GT40 and speaking to Allan Grant.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Back