Installing Plexiglas question

I'm getting ready for the final finish and installation on my RCR Plexiglass. I remember reading some threads about different types of screws to use for this job. I want to use something that will allow me to take the Plexiglas in and out without risking the cracking of the glass. Thanks for your help.
Vaughn

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Vaughn,

There've been a couple of threads on this very same topic of late; no doubt you hadn't seen them because you've been out in the garage making such remarkable progress on your car that, without photos to document the progress, it would be difficult to believe!

In any case, have a go at the search tool. All of them came up using the word "crack."

As another RCR owner, it's been encouraging reading about your build. Keep at it!

Best,

T.

Drill the holes in the plexiglass just slightly larger than the screw thread dia (using #8 screws or whatever you are using). This way the screw threads won't grab the plexi as you tighten. You only need the screws will pull the plexi down against the base material and that doesn't require much.

Simple solution - it's all I did and had no problems.

Chris

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Vaughn,

One thing I would mention is that many plexi windscreens I have seen have been installed by first creating a hole of that is smaller than the head of the screw you plan to use, but large enough to allow you to install a nylon bushing in the hole in the plexi and have the screw pass through the nylon bushing.

Ideally, the bushing is slightly thicker (i.e. taller) than the plexi, and for a GT40 rear window, if used in conjunction with a medium density foam gasket tape around the perimeter, the windshield is allowed a little room to move around a little without inducing stress on what would normally be small holes in the plexi (and it eliminates direct contact from the sharp threads of the fastener on the edge of the holes, like Chris mentioned above).

You can pick up these nylon bushing at any ace hardware store although you will probably have to cut them to length and possibly drill them to accept your fastener of choice.

Best Regards,

Al

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of good information. Dutton, I'll use the word "crack" and look at some of those Plexiglass threads. By the way, thanks for the verbal high five. I see that you and Scott are both building RCR. How are they coming along?

I think the information I got from Scott was what I was looking for. Thanks Scott, for those sites. Thanks for your help as well, Chris. The larger holes do make a difference.
Vaughn

Didn't notice it in this thread so thought I would add my $.02.

NEVER USE LOCTITE WHEN INSTALLING PLEXIGLASS. It will cause cracks due to a chemical reaction. Use the nylocks instead.

Back