Hi there!. Hoping to build a GT40 MK2 from buck files. Just one question...

Hi there!

Happy to be part of this forum!. I love the GT40 MK2 and have been thinking of building one myself for a while now. I have other classics that I'm working on restoring and wanting to try something new, that'd be to create this one from a wooden buck structure, its been calling to me :).

At the time, I'm exploring the sourcing of these files (I have found a couple but still looking). I have reached out to the most common names that manufacture the body, but given my desire to build the body myself, I've decided to go this route just for the enjoyment of the creative process even if it takes me a while, I figured It would be a fun experience (with the normal cursing, throwing things and hurting your fingers sort of fun, but fun nonetheless xD).

I do have a question that I'm having trouble on finding a straight answer, perhaps I'm missing out and not finding the right post. Is the GT40 MK2 shape protected?, as In: Can I make my own GT40 from scratch and drive it without legal repercussions? (set aside navigating the DMV realm of course...). Also when I say "from scratch", I really mean the body, accessories and interior for the most, I'm likely to use a Fiero or some other donor for the chassis to hold the Vin / title side).

Also, if there's anyone seeing this post that knows of a good source of Buck files to make my wooden structure, or even has files to share, that'd be very welcomed!.

Happy to have joined the forum, and already reading / learning quite a bit :)
Thank you!
Pablo

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Pablo. In my opinion you have come to the right forum. I believe we have some of the most knowledgeable component car builders in the world right here. There are some doing rivet by rivet recreations and others building their cars their way. Take time and research ALL the build threads, not only GT40S, but the ones doing other builds also.

Enjoy the forum !
Regards Brian

Hi Brian Tom here , I have an Active power GT40 MK1 right hand drive , why because it's the only way to feel like your driving a piece of history .
It has a tube chassis which is easy to repair , Those So. African cars are a nightmare to repair , trans mission problems galore . I have a
Porsche 996 transmission in my car and it is bullet proof , it will handle any horse power you throw at . Feel free call me at 321-292 9005
9 AM -9 PM Monday- Saturday 2 PM - 9PM Sunday . Ask me about a roller package . I hope to hear from you soon .

Brian ask the DMV about building your own body . Just remember a commercially built one is insured , To protect yours will cost you more than its worth .

Hi there!

Happy to be part of this forum!. I love the GT40 MK2 and have been thinking of building one myself for a while now. I have other classics that I'm working on restoring and wanting to try something new, that'd be to create this one from a wooden buck structure, its been calling to me :).

At the time, I'm exploring the sourcing of these files (I have found a couple but still looking). I have reached out to the most common names that manufacture the body, but given my desire to build the body myself, I've decided to go this route just for the enjoyment of the creative process even if it takes me a while, I figured It would be a fun experience (with the normal cursing, throwing things and hurting your fingers sort of fun, but fun nonetheless xD).

I do have a question that I'm having trouble on finding a straight answer, perhaps I'm missing out and not finding the right post. Is the GT40 MK2 shape protected?, as In: Can I make my own GT40 from scratch and drive it without legal repercussions? (set aside navigating the DMV realm of course...). Also when I say "from scratch", I really mean the body, accessories and interior for the most, I'm likely to use a Fiero or some other donor for the chassis to hold the Vin / title side).

Also, if there's anyone seeing this post that knows of a good source of Buck files to make my wooden structure, or even has files to share, that'd be very welcomed!.

Happy to have joined the forum, and already reading / learning quite a bit :)
Thank you!
Pablo

There is a T70 build diary on the forum from a member in south Affrica, that built it from scratch.
There is also a Ford GT90 build diary on the forum where the builder did his own buck.
recently I have seen someone build an Aston Martin DB7 body by 3d printing the body in 150mm square (6") tiles at a time. They glued them together to make the buck.
I have also seen a few builds where people wheel up alloy or steel panels to make the shape.
there are photos somewhere here of a GT40 body on a Lotus Eliese / Vhaxull 220 speedster chassis.
also check out @Compositeboy build Rich GT40 mk1 body build | GT40s

maybe others will chip in with the links to the other threads here.

I'm sure there are a few other body builds going on.

You aren't going to like a fiberglass body pulled straight from a buck, it's going to be heavy and require a ton of bodywork. The only way to do it right is to pull moulds off the buck, then lay your fiberglass panels. You are going to need to build complex multi-part moulds for several of the panels. Tons of work, quite a bit of money. Sure you don't want to just buy a body??

Instead of using a Fiero donor, build your own chassis. You'll get good at welding 100x faster than mastering fiberglass and bodywork..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
where is this build diary for the GT90?

the forum search function is your friend

Ian

Post #8 above, I see you live in SC, assume thats South Carolina, if Bill's still around & working find him & check out what his body costs these days. Found a contact # 781-659-1404. See if it works.

Jac, Bill lives in Norwell Massachusetts. If all goes well I will be going out to see him this summer. I’ll inquire.

Regards Brian
Hi Brian, Im just passing info onto the OP, Good to hear Bill is still in action. With freight World Wide being delayed these days a manufacturer close by is a must have. cheers Jac Mac.

Welcome Pablo

ou aren't going to like a fiberglass body pulled straight from a buck, it's going to be heavy and require a ton of bodywork. The only way to do it right is to pull moulds off the buck, then lay your fiberglass panels. You are going to need to build complex multi-part moulds for several of the panels. Tons of work, quite a bit of money. Sure you don't want to just buy a body??

above is right, see my build thread here

and before anyone asks, I'm almost finished with the build now. Dry build is just about done, before it strip it all to paint the chassis and then do the real build up. All spare time is spent in the garage and not downloading / editing photos etc.

IMG-20230209-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments. Really enjoying the forum.

Awesome projects I see in the making. Yours Fred looks really nice, lots of work into it!, I'll be keeping an eye on that one.
I'm already following the MK1 from Richard, he hinted at slicing my own 3D model, which is easier than I imagined.

I've found some 3D designs that I like and may toy with it this weekend. I'm considering maybe doing a quick draft 1:6 size model to start with, get a gist of the cons and pros of the model I end up picking and the slice pattern before going all in with the 1:1 size.
For sure I'm shaping the body to a smooth end product and the make a mold of it and then use the mold I end up with to produce the final body.

Yup, I'm in Greenville South Carolina. If there's someone making and selling body parts in these neck of the woods, let me know.
I appreciate the tips and contact info for getting one body ready to go. For now I think if I make a 1:6 model and it goes reasonable well, then I'm likely to go for the 1:1 size, it's not really so much about the cost (although there's an element), I'm mostly and genuinely interested in building the body from scratch.

I built a station buck for my homebuilt Miura project (build thread here: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/modern-day-miura.54786/ )

P1140594 - web.jpg

There's a build thread for the station buck here: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18557

I also have experience scratch building a body for a Ferrari 250GTO (build thread here: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=2264

08 - Body buck - web.jpg

09- Mold side - web.jpg

10 - mold front - web.jpg

11 - Body mount - web.jpg

I have a couple of observations from the GTO experience:
  1. Building a car body from scratch can be very emotionally rewarding but it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time (estimated/budgeted in units of years).
  2. If you're building a single body (or small quantity) it will be faster and cheaper to do it in aluminum versus fiberglass. To do a fiberglass body right, you'll have to make a sculptured buck, make a mold from that, and then the final body from the mold. Aluminum bodies also have a lot more prestige and period correctness as well.
Best of luck on your endeavor but I'd suggest you fully conceptualize the amount of work it will take or you'll likely end up with a half built project.

I built a station buck for my homebuilt Miura project (build thread here: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/modern-day-miura.54786/ )

View attachment 127793

There's a build thread for the station buck here: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18557

I also have experience scratch building a body for a Ferrari 250GTO (build thread here: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=2264

View attachment 127794

View attachment 127795

View attachment 127796

View attachment 127797

I have a couple of observations from the GTO experience:
  1. Building a car body from scratch can be very emotionally rewarding but it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time (estimated/budgeted in units of years).
  2. If you're building a single body (or small quantity) it will be faster and cheaper to do it in aluminum versus fiberglass. To do a fiberglass body right, you'll have to make a sculptured buck, make a mold from that, and then the final body from the mold. Aluminum bodies also have a lot more prestige and period correctness as well.
Best of luck on your endeavor but I'd suggest you fully conceptualize the amount of work it will take or you'll likely end up with a half built project.

Thanks for sharing Joel, and for the tips, those are some nicely executed projects!. I just bookmarked those links :).
Man, I love that Ferrari 250GTO, that's been comfy 2nd in my list for making If power of will and life allows later on.
I know starting a project like the one I'm trying to start won't be a "couple months" sort of deal, I have that very clear and have been toying with the idea for some time now. I enjoy the process as much, or maybe more, than the final product anyways xD.

I'm likely to produce more than one body if I get the mold right, which is my aim and I'm in no rush. And totally there with you on proper planning, luckily It is a part of what I do for a living, so that'll come handy. Plus all of the projects I find out there (like the ones y'all are sharing) paired with some realistic common sense from my end will give me a grip on the overall scope.
As mentioned, I'm also going to do a 1:6 scale since that's easy to print at home and handle. It'll be a rough draft, I'm not going all out with that one, it'll be mainly to get initial footing from a couple of fronts.
Thanks for your input and tips.

I should mention, for general context, that although this will be my first rodeo with fiberglass and that's a challenge I'm looking forward, I have worked on many cars and I'm technically a car mechanic and have experience with metal and welding. As well as I'm into woodworking, amateur level there but have plenty of tools in my backyard building, so that'll come handy for the wood buck :).
My bother is a body and paint guy, he's not in the area at the moment but he'll be moving near by next year more than likely and I'll be appointing him with some tasks lol.

Also to keep me good company, I have 2 other project cars at the moment. A 1968 Torino GT Fastback at a local Bodyshop (been there for like a year. It's in the queue... you know...) and I'm going to start working on my 1969 Chevelle doing some much needed metal work in a couple months (quarter panels, pillars, etc...).

tgt1.JPGtgt2.jpg - chv1.jpgchv2.jpg

Back