Is this wheel lip normal, or acceptable?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Just purchased a new set of wheels, and noticed today that the the rear wheels, on the inboard shell only, AND only on the rear wheels, has this unusual (at least for me) lip on it. The same manufacturer made my previous set of wheels, and nothing like this was provided. So, Is this something that should have been machined off in finishing the lip, or was it intentionally left on it? If so, what is the purpose. Again, only on the inboard shell of a 3-piece wheel, and only on the rear wheels.

The first photo is what I would consider a normal lip, as is on both shells of the front wheels. The second photo is the lip in question, which appears to start out normal, then completely wraps around itself. I have to ask myself why, and then "how do I keep trash out of this being it is open to any dirt, fine sand, etc?

1685549657994.png
1685549719182.png

I have those on my image wheels, vaguely remember them saying that it provided extra strength to prevent buckling on crappy roads (they do collect crap though).

Jim

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So the rational for buckling doesn’t make sense to me, being they are only on one pair, and only on one half of that pair of wheels. Why can’t things just be left alone when it works fine. After I talk to Harry about this, I may see about removing the roll, or ordering halves without them. The uprights I use fit nicely into a normal wheel’s lip recess, which is how I discovered this with a test fit prior to mounting tires.

Back