J-10 for sale

??? DNF, DNS, DNA ??? Not an enviable record.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
G7A (J-10) had many engine issues due to Ford trying different combinations. The race it ran at Fuji Japan finished 2nd. I think they had plans for racing in 71 but never happen. CanAm was not easy dealing with McLaren cars.

Neil

Supporter
G7A (J-10) had many engine issues due to Ford trying different combinations. The race it ran at Fuji Japan finished 2nd. I think they had plans for racing in 71 but never happen. CanAm was not easy dealing with McLaren cars.

Amen to "Can-Am was not easy..." I was on Bob Peckham's Can-Am crew in '72 & '73. He drove a McLaren M8C in those two years. It was an unsponsored team of volunteers; his wife was a math professor at the University of Arizona and served as crew chief. It was truly a shoestring effort but the car was very well prepared, we never had a DNF. It was particularly satisfying to finish ahead of multi-million dollar teams. Our best finish was 6th. Those were great days-- I remember the big concert at Riverside on Saturday night after practice when the Eagles introduced "Hotel California".

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Looks like she only finished one race (Japan) but hey, that's an original car with tons of good starts and history. Seems like a reasonable price for an original car with lots of race history in fantastic condition. Somebody will definitely buy it.

Neil, that must have been something. Fantastic that an amateur team without a lot of financial investment could compete at that level. I stopped watching professional racing when the race seemed to be more off-the-track racing via assembling the most money and people/resources....

Neil

Supporter
Cliff;

It is hard to imagine what a Can-Am race was like in the early '70s unless you were there. The crowds were huge and the sound was incredible- you not only heard the big blocks , you felt them. Here are a couple of pictures of Bob's McLaren. Note the "Space Available" lettering on the wing; we did not get any offers, though.

The air guide plates on top of each front fender increased downforce by keeping the air flowing over the top of the bodywork instead of spilling over the sides of the front fenders. After a race it was very clear where the airflow over the body went, the oil, bug, & tire rubber bits all generated black streaks on the paint. I hammered out those aluminum guide plates on the concrete floor of the paddock area one night after practice. I don't remember if it was at Riverside or Laguna Seca.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Bob Peckham M8C 2.jpg
Bob Peckham M8C 3.jpg

Last Tuesday Wayne Carini show Chasing Classic Cars in Velocity had the J-10 Episode (S13E06) on this year Amelia Island event. It also shows the car with Peter Portante (ERA).

I wonder if everyone who might have bid on J-10 was at the RM auction where 1016 was being sold (it went for $9,795,000).

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
The Can-Am series was the best racing ever. A family friend (Jack Douglass Chevrolet, in Hinsdale IL) sponsored Peter Revson's L&M Lola for several years. We had the opportunity to see him and so many other great drivers race at Road America, Lime Rock, Sears Point and other tracks.

Lola-T220-101536.jpg

I think the car is worth much more than the 2m plus asking price. The chassis was brought to LeMans as a spare in '67 along with J12. Fortunately it was not needed. I think if this car was restored a painted black (or any color not raced by another serial number) instead of replica red it would have been much more desirable. Only a dozen of these cars exist. There will never be another.

Back