Jimmy... Fort Worth, Texas, USA area

Howdy!
My name is Jimmy, and I'm the FNG.....lol. I'm excited to become a contributing member of this great community.

Former USAF pilot, now 787 airline pilot. Living the dream! I live in a runway community with a big hangar/shop, and I'm 20 minutes from one of the best road racing tracks in Texas, MSR Cresson. I've competitively road raced motorcycles, and have been driving and developing a Miata for the last 6+ years. Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. I've built an airplane (T-18, RV-6), several 600cc class road racing bikes, a Cafe Racer from a frame, and developed my Miata with it's 100HP of rage...lol.

It's time to develop my HP/Ftlbs skills on the track, and I want another project. I seriously considered a LS powered ND Miata, which gives me 530HP in a 2500lbs car. But, I've always had the GT40 on my mind. After a lot of research, I'm convinced this is what I want to do. A major part of that decision is the community that surrounds this iconic car. I hope to become a contributing member of this community!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Jimmy !
Looking forward to follow along on your journey. This forum is a wealth of information. Enjoy !!

Regards Brian

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jimmy, how tall are you and what do you weight. You can jam a big guy into one but they usually don't like it. I think several of the quick buy sell turnarounds are due to the small interior space. So having said that I'm in New Braunfels TX. Pm me and I'll send you contact info and if you like we can talk some more. I have a old GTD and a SLC.

Jimmy, I have a completed Tornado GT40 in Arlington. I know of two others in this area. You are welcome to visit.

Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in in Texas

Thanks Bob. I'll take you up on that after the holidays. I work out of DFW, so I'm in your neck of the woods, often. Would like to talk with you about your experience with Tornado. Enjoyed your build thread.

I found a RCR project in Bryan, TX. Are there any RCR GT40's in the DFW area? I'd luv to check out your project or finished car.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Jimmy,
Was just reading your post here and I have to ask (a little off topic) You said you built a T-18? Do you mean a Thorp T-18? If you did I helped my grandfather build one in the late 80's and had flown with him in it as well. Plane lived in Stuart Florida.

Yes, a T-18 Thorp. I finished it in 1991. I'm rebuilding it now.
N118JC (1).jpg

Jimmy, cool stuff.
Rick Mears is building a RCR GT40 out in your area. Maybe he will weigh in or uou can find his build thread.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
This is my grandfathers plane that he built. This is a pic from a magazine he was in. Thing that sucks is that he lived in Florida and the rest of our family lives in New York and when he was no longer permitted to fly he sold it without telling anybody and like that it was gone. I tried to locate it but came up empty, would have liked to keep it with the family.

1584366451081.png

Dan,
It’s hard to read the tail “N” number from that picture. If you know it you can look it up on the FAA’s website. If the new owner never re-registered it or changed the number (not likely) then at least you’ll get somewhere.
Scott

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Dan,
It’s hard to read the tail “N” number from that picture. If you know it you can look it up on the FAA’s website. If the new owner never re-registered it or changed the number (not likely) then at least you’ll get somewhere.
Scott
I did a few years back, it had went to Port ST. Lucie Florida but was unable to contact owner and was kind of thinking if he was a friend of my grandfather maybe he is not around anymore. I should run the tail again I have the # at home in the build logs that were given to me.

Back