John Horsman

Neil

Supporter
John Horsman has died. This is sad to report as he was my friend and a man who I greatly respected. A number of years ago John was the victim of a mistaken overdose of dye tracer (for a CT scan) and this damaged his kidneys to the point that it was necessary that he had a kidney transplant. This made it necessary to be on anti-rejection medication which had an effect on his immune system. In the past few months John had been ill and pretty much confined to his home here in Tucson, Arizona. He seemed to be improving so this outcome came as a surprise to us all. I'm sure we all wish his wife Janet our condolences.

The first time I met John at our Thursday lunch gathering, I sat next to him, not knowing much about who he was. We were discussing race cars and I mentioned that I had built a wing for a friend's Top Fuel dragster. He asked what profile I had used and I told him "NACA 4412". John's eyes lit up and I guess he thought that I knew something. He made a number of suggestions to improve the airflow on the car I am building. I'll miss him.

John's remarkable biography is widely available on the internet but the best one is in his wonderful book "Racing In The Rain".

First Stirling and now John. The old order passeth away....................

Attachments

• John H Horsman and Porsche 917.jpg
    John H Horsman and Porsche 917.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 352
Thats really sad news. I very much enjoyed his book "Racing in the Rain".
With news of Sterling Moss and now John Horsman, the last few days have been very disheartening.

I am lucky to own a limited signed copy of Racing in the Rain

Attachments

• E89091BF-0230-4FA0-A7F7-3B4F33A14E9B.jpeg
    E89091BF-0230-4FA0-A7F7-3B4F33A14E9B.jpeg
    593.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 9CD484CE-0633-48D6-9EE1-1E1A674464C8.jpeg
    9CD484CE-0633-48D6-9EE1-1E1A674464C8.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 254

Neil

Supporter
Geert, you are lucky to have a copy of John's book. Sadly, there may never be another printing.

Neil

Supporter
I took this photo of John in August 2019 at our weekly lunch gathering. His wife, Janet, has now moved from Tucson to live with her daughter in the Phoenix area. On the right in this photo (sitting) is Dave Cummins, who is the former design chief of the Chrysler-Imperial Exterior Studio.

Attachments

• John Horsman.jpg
    John Horsman.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 201
Back