Lifting points for 302

Shaun

Supporter
Hi
Ok need to lift the engine onto the bench, got Brodix heads, no inlet manifold so cannot lift on a card plate, am I able to lift using the heads? Bit worries as they are aluminium?
Any idea the bolt size needed if so? On the flywheel end I can for now use the bell housing bolts but once the box is fitted it will have to be lifted by the engine.
Got a load leveller to help
Cheers
shaun

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
just screw in a bolt in each end of each head. Use a chain or straps to lift with. I like to put a washer so the chain will not slip off. I also like to wrap the chain with rags to keep from scratching the heads, etc.

Don't worry about stripping the threads. You are side loading the bolt which is easy on the threads.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Oh yet
I love Brodix heads. I installed a pair of Keith Craft Brodix heads on my 347 and gained 80 rear wheel hp and torque on the dyno.

Shaun

Supporter
Cheers Dwight much appreciated, was recommended Brodix by the engine guy, glad you have good feedback on them :)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Use the accessory bolt holes on the end of the heads and screw the bolts in tight. The aluminum is ok as long as the bolts are tight. Don't use intake manifold hold down bolt holes (not enough threads and too small bolts) . At the other end when the gearbox is installed I have used a tiedown strap (the ones for trailer tiedowns) and wrap the gearbox with a old towel, then tighten the tiedown around the gearbox like a belt, loop the chain under it, bolt the chain ends together and attach the chain end to the hoist to lift from.

Without the gearbox/bellhousing installed, use two of the bellhousing bolt holes or the accessory bolt holes on the other end of the heads and thread the bolts in tight.

Back