Method for setting brake bias

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
What's your method for setting brake bias?

On my Cobra, I got it up to about 30-40 mph and slammed on the brakes, and had someone watching to tell me if the front or rears locked up first. I intentionally started with the bias to the rear and continued to adjust until the fronts locked up first. Is there a better way to do this?

Some people also use a pressure gauge fitted into the bleed screw of the brake caliper

Last edited:
Some people also use a pressure gauge fitted into the bleed screw of the brake caliper

I have those and you can do the math in excel to figure out what it should be, but then you are guessing on 60-65% Front. On my car now I like 62%, but every car is different so it might be a drive it type.

Also, at different speeds the bias can feel different and also with cold or hot tires.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, I do the same, road test\seat of the pants as you decribed and at different speeds. Ultimately, once you're in the ballpark it may be a personal feel you like best.

tim

Wayne mentioned the way they did it on te GT2 Porsche he drove. "Find an open patch of hard dirt. The tire skid easier and it shows the pattern in the dirt."

Back