MKI steering wheel emblem

Looking for a steering wheel hub emblem like this. This one is in a steel fram GTD currently for sale by gas-motors. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0994[1].jpg
    DSC_0994[1].jpg
    69 KB · Views: 312
Andrew

Check out this link.......this car is beautiful......I heard the owner "might" flex but you would have to make contact through his representative at Gas-Motors......

I had to think long and hard about this one but decided on the MONO chassis in the end.

GAS-MOTORS 1966 CAV GT40 MK I

Charlie Farley

Supporter
MDCAV,

I'm sure it is a nice car, but my comment was inpart regarding your choice of steering wheel emblem. The original emblem was this one. I can't see how it could be improved on. But i guess, each to their own..

Attachments

• Gt40 Steering Wheel 001.jpg
    Gt40 Steering Wheel 001.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Gt40 Steering Wheel 004.jpg
    Gt40 Steering Wheel 004.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 309
Sorry for the thread drift here....

Andrew, that's exactly the emblem I have been looking for..... Anyone know where one of those can be bought?

Thank you.

MDCAV,

I'm sure it is a nice car, but my comment was inpart regarding your choice of steering wheel emblem. The original emblem was this one. I can't see how it could be improved on. But i guess, each to their own..

Charlie, you are correct, it is a choice, but to date I have not found a "solid" source for an emblem which states "GT40".......some suggestions with leads but nothing came out of them, so this is an alternate choice.....but again, no solid leads to date.

Since variations likely exist in all GT40's ,original is subjective. Many images of the prototype cars employed in racing had no steering wheel hub emblems at all.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...to date I have not found a "solid" source for an emblem which states "GT40"........

You might contact Superformance. That emblem has been on the steering wheels of each of the SPF GT40s I've looked at/been in so far.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
MDCAV,

I've not relied on photos,they are invariably misleading. I acquired the original steeringwheel with 1/4 inch thick plastic emblem on boss, together with overflowing lever arch files of original letters from FAV and Gulf Racing, plus original photos etc.
How the wheel came to be parted from the second prototype car is detailed in Roy Salvadori's book/letters. He also mentions how the leather rim came to have a small depression in it. I'm sure there were variations, the black one springs to mind. However having collected original parts for nigh on ten years, i'm happy with what i have.
I do have plans to reproduce the emblem, but its very time consuming, remanufacturing original parts and at present, i can't justify tooling costs, from the interest shown by others.

Back