Supporter
Picture of MKII dash attached.

Attachments

• MKII_Dash.JPG
    MKII_Dash.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 532

Neil

Supporter
The "IGN Start" switch is apparently a spring-loaded switch. All of those switches are sealed- the red rubber around the toggle handle keeps dirt & water out- a good idea. From the looks of the switches they may have been made by Cutler-Hammer or Honeywell. Mil-spec stuff, including those two dash lights! I'm a bit surprised that a spring-loaded switch guard was not installed on the electric fuel pump switch. They make shutting off the switch very quick in an emergency just a fast tap with a gloved hand snaps the toggle to the "off" position.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Those panel lights are supplied by Grimes and the switches look like JBT aviation spec.

Neil

Supporter
You're right about the panel lights, James; I think Grimes must have 90% of the aviation lighting market. ;)

Neil

Supporter
Larry;

Blame low sales volume and an incredible amount of paperwork, certifications, etc. When I was working at Burr-Brown a government contract required us to certify that we did not employ slave labor, prisoners, or children- plus many, many other things that were required to be certified. The paperwork and lawyers' fees made it necessary to charge an arm and a leg just to break even. Congress is responsible for that mess.

its a nice photo Pedro, thanks for that. Learn something new every day and its a good day

I find it interesting that the switches were so similar and so close together. imagine going for the indicator and getting the starter or fuel pump.
i haven't had my dash out for ages so i cant remember how much space there is.

Pedro

Supporter
For the switches search for MS24524 on the web and for the lights search for MS25010

Attachments

• Grimes-Aircraft-Red-Panel-Light.jpg
    Grimes-Aircraft-Red-Panel-Light.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 419
  • MS24524-30.jpg
    MS24524-30.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 414

Neil

Supporter
For those who are unfamiliar with those numbers, "the MS" prefix stands for "Military Specification"

Neil

Supporter
I agree with Tom. A switch should always be oriented so that a down toggle position is always "OFF". In an emergency there is no time to read the legends. I prefer an ON-OFF switch for main electrical power (including ignition) and a separate button for the starter. but that's just my personal preference.

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_124038237_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180911_124038237_HDR.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 386
Neil,
The cockpit term "switchology" comes to mind. Like an airplane or helicopter, the GT-40 goes fast and demands your attention. When things go bad, they usually go bad quickly. It's nice to be able to swipe your hand across the switch plate and turn everything off quickly and not have to guess which switches are turned OFF up or down....

Neil

Supporter
Yes, you just need to instantly react; no time to even think. I like using a spring-loaded switch guard to kill all the electric power. My "power" switch controls a big aircraft 12V contactor that is in series with everything but the starter motor armature.

Back