monocoque

I should actually have clarified that I'm not entirely sure what the Mk5 thicknesses were, just that they were steel. Although they did change to zinc coated steel rather than the rust prone uncoated steel as well as "simplifying" bits.

The difference in thickness is small, for 20SWG with a Z600 zinc coating for example it would add ~84µm which would make it 1.305mm. A Z100 would only add 14µm which would make it 1.234mm. The available steel in the 80's however may have meant they needed to change them.

Mine will probably be a mix of 1.6 and 1.2. Mainly 1.6 i am guessing. i dont see the point in going to the lighter stuff unless it becomes to hard to form the thicker stuff to the required shape. I dont see that being a problem though.

good afternoon Agostino
wow thank you so much, that's very very helpful
the reason I asked was im searching high and low for detailed drawings of the horseshoe and brace
which I wanted to know how to fabricate.
im now also thinking of doing my build in aluminium so detail is everything for strength
but I am very grateful to you for getting back to me
thank you so much
best regards
kyler

quoted from the build threads
in the above grab cad download, find the PDF for drawings
GT40P-1-2176 - "Front - Rear hoop closing plate"
GT40P-1-2049 - assembly

If anyone has a copy of GT40P-1-2175 that would be great
I have worked my way around not having it at this point, but it certainly would be handy.

Ryan

Car 110 had an aluminum tub and did not work out very well if I remember correctly. Alan Mann cars had aluminum body's , not sure if all Mann cars did. I have set a 20 gauge steel minimum for my build , drawing GT40P-1-2175 would be great if any one had it.

I pm'd a guy called shawn yesterday who had some interesting drawings so im hoping he might be able to help !!
would really love to get the dimensions, that horseshoe is a master piece of art in its self
Car 110 had an aluminum tub and did not work out very well if I remember correctly. Alan Mann cars had aluminum body's , not sure if all Mann cars did. I have set a 20 gauge steel minimum for my build , drawing GT40P-1-2175 would be great if any one had it.

I pm'd a guy called shawn yesterday who had some interesting drawings so im hoping he might be able to help !!
would really love to get the dimensions, that horseshoe is a master piece of art in its self
can you remember why the Ali tub didn't work out mate ?

X-1, the Sebring winer had a semi alloy tub. Given that Dan Gurney/Jerry Grant in a steel GT40 Mk II were quicker and leading at the start of the last lap i dont think the alloy tub added much if anything to the performance.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
A nice set of photos!!!! for me at the moment the money shot is here...
I was going to add a spacer...

Attachments

• engine mount.jpg
    engine mount.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 527
I remember at least one Mk5 being aluminium. I saw it at Silverstone in the 1980s when it just a chassis. I thought they had made a few but maybe it wasn`t a success?

Back