Monterey Historics on Speed

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
JUST A REMINDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tonight on Speed Sunday 9-21-03 9pm ESDT
J-6 and others !!!!!!!!!!!
I just wanted to remind everyone. Because I found out about Goodwood being on Speed, about three days after the fact, and haven't found anyone that taped it.

Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice show (sorry...I did not tape it).

Rob Walton sure has some nice toys...GT40 # 1075, Cobra
Daytona coupe, etc.

Jim...do you know if Rob owns any Ferrari/Porsche racers?

MikeD

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I searched the Speed channel listing, and could only find one repeat showing.
Saturday, October 4, 2003
1:00 pm MONTEREY HISTORIC AUTOMOBILE RACES Ford Racing Heritage
I have not had time to see how my tape came out, but that may be another option.
Brian

Last I heard Walton owns the one and only 412 MI Ferrari, a car whose engine began life in the 335S in which Fon de Portago, his co-driver and a number of spectators were killed in the last "real" Mille Miglia. He also owns a gorgeous 250LM and a Dino-engined sports racer (not sure of the I.D. on that one, but along the lines of a 246SP). Until last year he also owned one of the Corvette Grand Sports (the Sunoco-liveried roadster). Also owns the first Scarab sports racer (the one Lance Reventlow had briefly converted for street use), a whole bunch of Maseratis, and Lord knows what else.

I was disappointed in the Monterey coverage, personally. Very little on-track action, especially in the "feature" race of the weekend (the one involving the GT40s), which was given all of about three minutes of coverage. There are a lot of race groups at Monterey but it was a two-hour program, after all...

Re: two glimpses of J6 on the show...

I think I saw our own J6 two times on the show last night.... one shot of the right fender/head light area and then a nice side shot in the display area.... very cool, but I kept hoping to see it out on the track, maybe during a parade lap with the other notables.... either way, it was a good show with lots of GT40 action shots. Congrats to J6 on a fine showing!
mardyn

Re: two glimpses of J6 on the show...

It was also in the Rolex Moment of time in the historic footage at LeMans. I don't know why they didn't show the MK-IV's and the other Historic GT40's on the track parade it was way cool. (There's a good shot of us on the track in this months ClassicCars)
Best

Re: two glimpses of J6 on the show...not enough

I was hoping for more racing action but there are so many other races and celebrity drivers to feature 2 hours (less commercials) is not enough time. I bet they have ten times as much pre edited footage. Too bad they just do not broadcast one day live. If they can do six hours of Barrett-Jackson two days in a row why not some live action.

Re: two glimpses of J6 on the show...not enough

About four years ago Speed (then Speedvision) did some live broadcasts from Monterey. I recall that they were spread out over Saturday and Sunday and totalled something like six hours. It was really wonderful and I remember thinking that it might signal a new level of interest in televising vintage racing. The late Bob Akin was one of the commentators and his son, Bobby, also had a hand in it. I e-mailed them to thank them for their efforts and they responded enthusiastically. Unfortunately that experience was a "flash in the pan", as Speed has reverted to these heavily edited, commerical-packed two-hour programs. It's a shame that a premier event like Monterey doesn't offer a two- or three-hour DVD or videotape of each year's event, like the programs available on Goodwood's website (www.goodwood.co.uk).

Back