MV Agusta replicas built in England

Hi All,

Believe it or not replica MV Agustas are being built in a small workshop attached to a double storey house in Sandhills near Walsall in Staffordshire.

The two people behind this mind boggling project are the father and son team of David and Mark Kay.

Apart from certain parts and items purchased or contracted out most of the bike is built in house and the quality is stunning. Whichever model you want you can have it whether it's a 750 GT with spoke wheels, drum brakes and shaft drive, left hand or right hand gear change, a Phil Read Magni replica, etc, etc.

These hand crafted beauties are not cheap at about 27500 pounds, about double the price of a current MV F4. However, if compared with the price of some sports cars at 50000 pounds I believe it's good value.

Latest project is a Derek Minter/Geoff Duke replica Gilera four.

Last September I met up with Keith Bright who was on his first trip to the UK. Keith is a fibreglass wizard and will be making the bodies for the new GT40. Even though we went to the Goodwood Revival Meetinga and the Donington Kit Car Show together he keeps telling everyone that the visit to the Kays was the highlight of his trip! He just can't get over what he saw.

The Kays telephone number is +44 (0)1543 377871 and e-mail
- [email protected].

The attached pic is of the Phil Read Magni replica. In the box on the floor is a blown motor. A very, very well-known former bike racer, who shall remain nameless, missed a cog and the beautiful four said ouch!

One day I'll knock on the Kays door for a Phil Read Magni replica! Like you, Robert, my wife doesn't mind if I bomb around on bikes. Wonder what she'll say if I tell her I'm going to race a Jimmy Price GT40 in classics. For 37 years I've never stood in her way when she goes on business trips abroad, goes Scottish country dancing, etc, etc.
This has been a long investment in time and there's something called quid pro quo.

Drool!
Andre 40

Attachments

• 32770-Untitled-3.jpg
    32770-Untitled-3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,239
David Kay showing Francois, Robbie Senekal's son-in-law, the valve gear drive train.

Attachments

• 32771-Untitled-4.jpg
    32771-Untitled-4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 847
Keith Bright and David Kay with the Gilera replica

Attachments

• 32774-Untitled-6.jpg
    32774-Untitled-6.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 891
Whoops, pressed CONTINUE too quickly. Here goes again.

Attachments

• 32776-Untitled-8.jpg
    32776-Untitled-8.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 868
Must be a labour of love Andre.

The bikes look great, but surely they cant intend to sell too many at those prices.

Incredible workmanship tho!

Rick

Back