New 5th gear for Audi gearbox

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I have had many people ask me for Audi gearboxes with particular ratios that are only available in a few varients of the OI6 and very difficult to find that I have decided to manufacture a new fifth gear.

I am looking for numbers as this would make the overall cost per unite better and this saving I would be able to pass on.

There are 5th gear conversions available for the Renault gearboxes and I do not know how well they were accepted by our customers but I think that this conversion would make the standard AAZ or 5N boxes much more highway friendly. The 3U gearbox in one of our cars ran her out to 176 MPH on a radar trap but at 60 MPH the car is only doing 2000 RPM.

I suspect that the pair of gears would cost about AUS $ 750 but this might drop by $ 50 with numbers.

My first thoughts for the ratios of the gear would be either 0.68 or 0.64.

Your comments please.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
I thought that box was determined to be a 5N in the previous thread. It pulled 6800 RPM at 176 which in the 3U would be going much faster. 3Us are the ones I've retrived from Europe and are not available anywhere else.

Ron

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ron,

The box was a 3U and the reason for the difference is the wheel diameter which is different to the numbers used by the Wayne Presley calculator.

Best wishes,

Robert

I am fortunate to have one of Ron's 3U boxes, so I guess before I could answer your question I'd like to know what the ratio is you're proposing so as to make an informed decision.

I do have to say I like the fact you are thinking about providing this service!

Back