New and old guy from South Africa

Okay
I have placed and paid for my body order with CAV in CapeTown.
My order includes the front and rear glass.
More than likely my next post will be in Build Log section.
The beginning of a new chapter in my car life, thank you so much to all of you that answered/responded my questions and queries.
Cheer

"Right said Fred". I am on my way to Cape Town next weekend to go and collect my early Christmas present from Jordi Reddy at CAV. Will take a leisurely drive down the coast over the weekend and pick up my toy on Monday morning. Hopefully I will be able to go through the factory and see the real deal being built. Must admit I am quite excited and at the same time anxious at taking on this task, but have been yearning to do a scratch build all my life. So at the age of 60 I'm getting my second "Meccano set". My next post will be in the build log section in a week or so.
Regards to All

So at the age of 60 I'm getting my second "Meccano set".

At least you're not alone at this"age"...(you feeling old?)
i'm from a 1955 very good wine year it seems,and still alive and kicking.
I start a complete re-build of a KVA MK3 which was standing still for the last 35 years.
just go for it, the only thing you will regret later are things you never did, for one or other reason....

good luck with the build

Paul

Hi Paul
Thank you for the good wishes, much appreciated. Must admit I have gotten quite a bit of "are you nuts" from guys that have heard about my latest venture. I definitely don't feel old but have to admit I can't do what I used to physically but I suppose that is a given. But then I must add in their defense that most of the guys know how I battle with a back injury I incurred whilst in the South African Armed Forces (1974), a Unimog I was driving set off a landmine and since then I have had endless lower back problems.

But I have adapted my lifestyle,operations have helped some and my workshop is set up in such a way that I never have to pick up anything heavy. Getting under cars no problem either have built myself an old style pit that I drive the car onto and then get underneath by steps. In the last 20yrs I have rebuilt 3 Chev Corvairs with this back. I have always wanted a V8 but never thought that I would get the lucky break I did with this GT40 body from CAV. So I am quite stoked and look forward to the challenges that lie ahead in this chapter of my life. Fortunately my wife supports my hobby 150%. Drop me a link to your build log when you have time.
Cheers

Gentleman
Christmas has come early for me this year. I am back from CAV in Cape Town and yes the body shell is now parked under my carport. Will build a dollie on casters this weekend so that the panels don't distort whilst I build the frame. will post some picture of the body panels. According to Jordi this shell weighs half of what the conventional hand layed shell weighs. I could comfortably pick up the front/rear panels by myself. I think I'll post the photos in the build thread section as a kick-off to my build-thread. Thank you to all for the comments/advice to date really appreciated.
Cheers

Back