New Build Decision Considerations

Rookie here. First let me say that i am in awe of this community and the knowledge and experience you all have building these cars! Makes me feel more confident to attempt my first build knowing I can lean on this forum for advice and help. A few questions:

1) I've read that you can build this car for around $65K but as I review Jim T's car for sale (which I am considering) most parts he lists seem like they are necessary and he is up to $79K and it's not done yet! Probably can't afford his cost all at once so I may have to pay as I build. What is a realistic cost of a build if I build from scratch?

2) What does it cost to register these cars? I live in Chicago suburbs. I read on another forum (supercars.com i think) that it cost a guy $10,000 to register his car in California. Is that true?! Anyone register one of these in Illinois? How much did it cost (for those that have registered an SLC)? Does Fran provide documentation for the purposes of registering?

3) My car will be a street car. How is the ride? Are there suspension decisions I need to make based on it being a street car?

4) Is there any upcoming event near Chicago that one of you will be at so I can look at an SLC in person? Someone (Rumble?) mentioned a cross country drive that ended in the Wisconsin Dells in June. Will any of you be there?

I am just trying to do all of my homework before making the commitment. I love the car and seem to talk about it everyday (according to the people around me), so I guess it's in my blood!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Joel

I bought my gt40 then spent 5000 just to get it set up. I am sure it will need more work, I also have a 69 mustang nothing stock on it. They both take lots of money . You have to treat these things like they will cost you more then you think and take longer to get things right. If you have the skill and time it will cost less but if you have read builds on this site they can take a lot of time so that to me is some things to think of when deciding to start.

Rookie here. First let me say that i am in awe of this community and the knowledge and experience you all have building these cars! Makes me feel more confident to attempt my first build knowing I can lean on this forum for advice and help. A few questions:

1) I've read that you can build this car for around $65K but as I review Jim T's car for sale (which I am considering) most parts he lists seem like they are necessary and he is up to $79K and it's not done yet! Probably can't afford his cost all at once so I may have to pay as I build. What is a realistic cost of a build if I build from scratch?

It depends. You can indeed build a good car for $65-70K, but that will likely involve some used parts like engine and trans. What is "necessary" is a function of your personal vision and budget.

2) What does it cost to register these cars? I live in Chicago suburbs. I read on another forum (supercars.com i think) that it cost a guy $10,000 to register his car in California. Is that true?! Anyone register one of these in Illinois? How much did it cost (for those that have registered an SLC)? Does Fran provide documentation for the purposes of registering?

You get an MSO, which you surrender to get an actual title from the state. I don't know the details of the CA story, but it probably doesn't apply to an SLC. You can get an California SB100 exemption for essentially free (you always have to pay taxes). I don't know what the story is in IL, but look up SEMA SAN on the web as they have a convenient state-by-state registration narrative that will be helpful.

3) My car will be a street car. How is the ride? Are there suspension decisions I need to make based on it being a street car?

Street ride is surprising good. The stock shocks are very adjustable. OTOH, it's not a Caddy, and doesn't ride like one. It's probably not an everyday commuter car, esp in Chicago!

4) Is there any upcoming event near Chicago that one of you will be at so I can look at an SLC in person? Someone (Rumble?) mentioned a cross country drive that ended in the Wisconsin Dells in June. Will any of you be there?

I think Rumbles was talking about the Hot Rod Power Tour, which ends in the Wisconsin Dells this year. I was trying to go, but I doubt my car will be ready for that trip this year- maybe next year.

I am just trying to do all of my homework before making the commitment. I love the car and seem to talk about it everyday (according to the people around me), so I guess it's in my blood!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Joel

Hello Joel,

I have an RCR 70 that I keep at the Autobahn Country Club that you are welcome to take a look at. Please send me a PM and we can make arrangements to get together.

I chose to keep my RCR as a track only car so I did not go through the process of registering it for street use. However, I have other kit cars that I have registered for street use in Illinois. The most recent was a Lister Corvette replica that I registered in 2010. The process was straightforward at that time and I believe it still is. The costly part is paying the sales tax for the kit. You are required to do this within 90 days of bringing the kit into the state and they do apply penalties if you are late. (The form you need to file is called an RUT-50 and is available at most Secretary of State offices.) After you complete building the kit and are ready to get it titled and registered you go back to the Secretary of State and file a form VSD-190. You will need to bring proof that you paid the taxes, along with the kit manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) and a couple of pictures of the completed car. The cost of the actual registration is around $150. With the Lister, they gave me plates right away. When I registered a Factory Five Daytona Coupe in 2007, they mailed the plates and I had to wait a month. I've heard that whether you get the plates right away or have to wait is hit or miss. It depends on how familiar the person you are working with is with the process of registering a kit car. Another thing to keep in mind is that the year of the car you are replicating determines whether or not you will need to meet emission requirements. Replicas of 1967 or older cars are exempt from emissions testing.

Here is my 2 cents:
Put away 20k in a dark hole not delegated to be spent in the car and when that unexpected @#$! :lipsrsealed: oops occurs you can proceed with your build without disaster.

Also there are ways to register your car, takes a little up front money to form a LLC and it gets registered in Montana under a LLC.

Back