New Guy

Greetings, fellow GT40 aficionados. Please allow me to introduce myself, and ask a small favor from those of you who have already researched the various options for GT40 kits.

I’ve been in love with GT40s since as far back as I can remember. When I was a little kid I had a Matchbox collector’s case with a picture of a GT40 on the front, the GT40 was my prized Matchbox car, and I was always fascinated by the Ford Motorcraft logo. I’ve had some fun cars (2002s, Opel GT, 240Z, Porsche 944) and my latest ride is a 2001 Mustang Cobra. I’ve modified my Cobra with an eye toward open track events, and I’ve had a deposit with Incon systems for over a year for a twin turbo kit for the modular Cobra, which seems to be taking them forever to produce. I post at www.corral.net and www.corner-carvers.com , where I chatted with Gordon Levy a bit and found out about this site in a recent thread. This is a great site, by the way.
smile.gif

Anyway, I’ve decided that I will build a GT40, although my finances won’t permit any sudden moves. Clearly, I need to do a lot of research before I make my decision as to which kit to go with. I’d love an ERA 40, and I’m near their plant, but I don’t think I can afford the kit nor do I want to wait for up to two years. I’m very interested in the Roaring Forties GT40 kit. I’m also considering the DRB GT40, as the rolling chassis seems to be reasonably priced and it uses C4 Corvette suspension pieces, which should be easy and relatively inexpensive for me to locate. The Tornado and the kit from New Zealand also look nice but I’d rather not scrounge parts from cars that were never imported to the US (i.e., Granada suspension bits, Renault transaxles). There are so many options, and that’s a good thing!

I’ve read through all the threads on this forum and it looks like several people have done the same research that I’m undertaking now. I would appreciate it if any of you who might have compiled information about the various kit manufacturers in the form of spreadsheets or electronic documents would be kind enough to share your research findings with me by sending me an email.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really enjoy this forum, and it's nice to know there are people who feel like I do about these beautiful cars.

G

wink.gif
Hello Mark,
Great to see you enjoy a fantastic car and I applaud your drive to build one. It is hard to choose from the myriad of companies - and each is capable of producing a fantastic kit. Myself, I plan to buy a kit in the near future (within a year). Whilst here in Oz I have checked out the Roaring Forties, DC-O and New Zealand cars and operations. I have not seen a ERA or Tornado car, though their sites look good. Personally I am enamored with the Roaring Forties set-up and have visited their plant with Robert (he spent 3 hours on his weekend showing me the operation and going for a drive ). They appear very profession and of a high standard. Having said that the other sites were fantastic as well. What a conundrum!! Basically the decision to choose an RF car was based primarily on emotion - I loved the car I saw and the time I spent at Dromana (where the fatory is). Secondly I met alot of satisfied customers, whilst thirdly I am of the opinion that the operation I saw is pretty much second to none (I hope I haven' insulted anyone - just a personal opinion). My best advice is to go around, if possible and check out he cars, talk to different people, like you are on this site, and sit down and write what you relly want from the car and your level of skill, and time to devote tot he project. Then basically see who fits the bill best. Ultimately you will own a fabulous car which YOU have to be happy with - irrespective of the kit you buy. So call the different manufactures and have an info pack sent out - it's what I have done, and like you, I just have to save up (I am selling all my Christmas presents!! )
grin.gif

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: drcharlz ]

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: drcharlz ]

Mark,
The only thing I have to say is "Roaring Forties." I just recieved my car 2 days ago and from top to bottom it is a top notch car. Robert is a great person and will never steer you wrong. The cars are fantasic and the personal service is wonderful. No car or kit is perfect, and with that being said, if you still want to biuld one then you can rest easy and just worry about saving up for your new RF. In my opion it is the only way to go.

Mark,

I know that you are looking for broad advice rather than endorsment of a particular product but I'd like to point out another factor to consider. It was the overriding factor when I made my final choice.

The RF40 was designed with the assitance of racecar designers who are leaders in their field. It not only looks the part and takes off like a cut cat, but it also goes around corners like it was on rails. All the chassis components were designed to make THIS car work to its FULL potential and not adapted the best they can.

For this, you pay a little extra, so its a cost/performance balance that you need to feel comfortable with yourself - and something that you feel is important.

There are other replicas that have also achieved the same standards, but they seem to be in a different price bracket.

I too am selling my Christmas toys to build my ultimate dream
grin.gif

G

grin.gif
Chris,
I hope you get lots for your presents at Cash-Converters. If you ever visit Wodonga stop and have a chat and let us know how you are coming along with your car. On a serious note, for prospective buyers, could you let Mark, myself and others know how you are managing doing the build, did you start with just a basic kit, rolling chasis etc and how easy to understand were the RF build manuls to understand and the degree of complexity of the work? Though I don't have my kit yet (my next xmas present - touch wood)everyone I have spoken to believes the Rf kit to be the most easy to understand and build from. Do you find it so?
rolleyes.gif

DrCharlz & Mark & everyone,

Hey, do you think that Cash Converters will give me anything for my used Christmas cards?
smile.gif

Anyway, back to the serious stuff, I am in an uncommon situation in that I bought my kit while RF was still in its infancy (it was a justified leap of faith on my part). The point being that my build has always been a couple of steps ahead of the instruction manual.

I think that, on that basis, it is a credit to the product that I have been able to build the car by only looking at pictures and getting advice from Robert (and later Sam). I have not yet had to take anything apart to put back together "correctly".

I bought what was called a level 1 rolling chassis (no longer offered as an option) which included the space frame, basic suspension components and outer body panels. I then fabricated the inner panels (never having done that sort of thing before) and ordered the individual "modules" as and when I needed them. All modules arrived complete and ready to fit. No further jigging or (re)welding was required - which I understand can be the case with some kits.

The fibreglass body is of a very high standard and has excelent continuity of lines from panel to panel, which made the body (relatively) easy to fit. (Anyone who is currently fitting the body panels, is welcome to contact me for some pics of a simple temporary support frame which will allow you to line up the panels more easily).

I work full time and have so far spent almost 2 years building the car on an average of 8 hours spread over each weekend, and 5 hours spread over the remainder of the week - which allows me plenty of time to socialize and race my Triumphs (anybody wana buy a real nice Triumph TR6
smile.gif
)

I have never built a kit car before, but have spoken to many who have built non-GT40 kit cars. All were very impressed with the standard of the components and the availability of parts (often other kits require you to fabricate your own components they tell me).

I now have the complete manual and looking at it in retrospect, found it to be quite good. I've only used it to fit the door latches and headlights so far.

So there is the condenced version of my story.

DrC, I spend alot of time at club events at Winton Raceway. We could catch up there if its not too far for you. Are you ordering or taking delivery next year?

Thanks for the replys so far, guys.

Thought you might be interested in this picture I got of an old Matchbox case, just like the one I had, which I got off of an Ebay auction...

i-1.JPG

That's also the paint scheme I'd like to do, or close to it.
smile.gif

G

Neat Chris,
Robert told me thatbuilding the GT40 would be a loabour of love. I know of some guys who have tried to build kits, and continue to do so five to six years later. Robert also warned not to put any seats in till the car is basically finished - as I would end up playing 'Le Mans' blowing rasberries out through my lips.

Me and my wife are expecting our first in Feb', hence the delay whilst I reshuffle finances for our baby. To that extent i hope to buy a rolling chasis to which Robert and the gang would already of done all the panelling. Basically I'll drop in all the electrics, engine, gearbox, interior and painting etc. I chose this as I believe my level of skill may be a hinderance - I have never built a car, let alone even worked on one. There are a fair few people, both locally and on this site who I am sure will stear me right.

With regards to Winton, let me know when you next go to the track and I will more than happily come along and watch. I finish at the Wodonga clinic by 1 pm and it is only an hours or so down the Hume. It would be my pleasure!! Email me at [email protected] and I'll make the time to be there.

To everyone at the site have a lovely new year and may your cars come along just as you imagined.
tongue.gif

To anyone considering a build,

Alternatively, if you do get the seats at an early stage, make sure you get wipers for the inside of your windscreen – to wipe the raspberries of coarse.
smile.gif

While I’m at it, seems like a good spot to offer some advice.

Firstly, don’t be afraid to take on the task, it’s not rocket science. RF has done all the hard number crunching for you. From here-on its just time. If you are about to perform an individual task that you feel uncomfortable with, then practice elsewhere and ask for advice if you’re unsure. Remember that other people have done it before, so it can be done. The “measure twice – cut once” rule is always a good one.

Secondly, as you said, it will be a labour of love. Expect to have a flurry of activity when you first get the kit and enthusiasm is high. At some stage the enthusiasm will decrease and the work rate will drop. This is a very critical stage where you subconsciously decide whether this will be a two-year project or six-year-and-counting. This is normal however, so allow yourself a break from time to time if you must, but set the DAY that you will resume regular work and STICK TO IT. Don’t be indecisive about when you will get back on it or the project will be buried before you know it. Remember that the high levels of enthusiasm and work will return as you get closer to completion and you imagine yourself driving it again.

Oh yeah, and thirdly and most importantly, tell your wife who you love most – her or the car – because she is bound to ask. Make sure you give the right answer.
grin.gif

As I read this my wife was over looking my shoulder. Her response was "This person has built one before".

Great advice!!

Back