Newbie here, not a GT40 but love the site

I have been a long time lurker on the site, and have learned a lot from the info on here.

I have a somewhat ambitious project that is doing what you guys are doing, but fast forward about 35 years. The techniques will be similar, but the finished product will resemble (as closesly as possible) a Panoz LMP-1. I will utilize a C5 corvette drivetrain with a shortened torque tube. The chassis will be thin wall square and rectangular tube with aluminum stressed skins inside and out. The plan is to use rigid foam epoxied to the skins in the null space inside the chassis.

The nice part about the body is that the newer LeMans Prototype bodies are far less complex than the GT40's. Pretty much a flat surfaces with bulges and swoops to accomodate wheels and the like. No glass or doors to deal with should help. (I'll just have to be sure to put a couple well placed holes in the floor pan to let the rain out when I get caught in it ;) )

I am certain that it will take an inordinant amount of time to do, but I am actually more excited about the build than I am driving the completed product.

Back