Original Rubber Drive Couplings (Donuts)

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Following a conversation about the prices of reproductions of original GT40 parts, I decided to attempt to make the donuts.

I found a couple of experts in their field and between us set about the task.

The first batch turned out very well

The results in the photos below;

!st, and 2nd photo, scans, 3rd , steel insert casting, 4th and 5th, Ali Moulds, Last photo, finished Item.

Donut1.png .Steel insert.png IMG_3787.jpg mould 1.jpg mould 2.jpg coulping photo.jpg

Following a conversation about the prices of reproductions of original GT40 parts, I decided to attempt to make the donuts.

!st, and 2nd photo, scans, 3rd , steel insert casting, 4th and 5th, Ali Moulds, Last photo, finished Item.

View attachment 112326 .View attachment 112324 View attachment 112321 View attachment 112322 View attachment 112323 View attachment 112325

Nice work, I could be needing some of these soon.

Regards,

Graham.

Neil

Supporter
The early '60s front-engine V12 Ferrari 250 series uses these doughnuts between their transmission and drive shaft. Check the sizes- they may be usable.

View attachment 112326 .View attachment 112324 View attachment 112321 View attachment 112322 View attachment 112323 View attachment 112325
Hi Peter, they look great, very impressive, how are you going to test them? or are you going to use your car as the test rig?

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Hi Peter, they look great, very impressive, how are you going to test them? or are you going to use your car as the test rig?

Hi Brian, Happy New Year. I have sent a pair to a respected GT40 man to look at. He has a test rig. I will set up a test rig myself soon but I am confident they are better than those made in the 60's ...... time will tell

Hi Brian, Happy New Year. I have sent a pair to a respected GT40 man to look at. He has a test rig. I will set up a test rig myself soon but I am confident they are better than those made in the 60's ...... time will tell
Happy New Year too, I will be interested to see how they go? It's not something I would have ever thought about making, but its amazing what you can do when you have to! Are the steel inserts forged, or did you cast them?

Peter Barnes

Supporter
A donut has been tested to failure. A bolt through two adjacent holes were hydraulically stretched apart , the rubber stood up extremely well and broke. The important point is that the rubber did not detach from the steel. This test checked the adhesion and strength of the rubber, however the donut would not undergo these extremes in racing use.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
To help pay for the investment in this project I am offering a few donuts for sale, £ 600 for a pair, inc postage within the UK. Will post abroad by arrangement.

Thanks Peter.

Hi,
Hi all, I'm thinking of using doughnuts on a car I'm building and the Metalastik torque capacity data is very conservative imho, so any real word usage on a powerful car would be really useful to me. Do you know the PCD or the part number of the doughnut in the picture ? Did they fail... etc
Cheers
John

Neil

Supporter
Rubber drive couplings are shipped with a metal band around their circumference. Do NOT remove this band before installing them in place! My Ferrari used one in its drive shaft on the transmission output flange. I made the mistake of cutting off the metal band and I had a hard time getting all the bolt holes to line up. The band holds the rubber in compression so the bolt holes line up with the drive flanges. Cut the band and the rubber expands!

Back