Porsche 996 Transaxle

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I was looking at a picture of a 1999 996 transaxle on eBay and it doesn't look nearly as long as the G50 variants in the '90s 911s. Has anyone evaluated these for use in a GT40? I may be mistaken, but I think this is a G60 transaxle. I can't tell if it it for AWD or not.

37_1.JPG

Lynn

You're correct that it appears shorter. It's mostly due to the fact that the bellhousing is a lot shallower than on the air cooled cars w/ g50's. the flanges forward (the gears) is about the same length.

The tranny in the picture is not 4wd.

Hi Guys,
I need some advice and some tech input. A nutty neighbor of mine just had his Porches engine rebuilt. He says that it is the last year that they made the air cooled engine. He took it to Phenix where they got a little more than 660 hp out of it. It has 3 key settings. First is a limit of 3000 rpm then 5000 rpm and last is all out racing. He said that he can't get on the gas while in a corner on the 3000 rpm setting because the wheels break loose. He is afraid to go to the 5000 rpm setting. I figure that he is gotng to wrap it up one of these days. His wife told me that if he has an accident with it she will sell it to me.
I am wondering if I could squeeze it into my CAV. It looks like it would fit with only some minor body work to make the loovers above the muffler larger to let air into the massive inter cooler under his whale tail. How much weight would I be saving since I wouldn't need the radiator and coolant. If I could get the weight down to about 1800 lbs. it might be a contender.???
Joe

Joseph,

Remember one thing, in a 996, the whole thing is turned around the opposite direction. You would need to reverse the engine and gearbox, as the gearbox wouldn't fit the tunnel of a 40, among other alignment problems. In this reversed condition(engine to front)air cooling might be insufficient, as the engine would be against the bulkhead, and not exposed to as much airflow as it was in the 996.

Bill

Joseph, you'd have to love fabrication. I think the length won't be a problem as they fit small block chevy's in the back of 911's all the time. Your problem will likely be width and exhaust/turbo location. The 911 engine is pretty wide, and the below crankshaft width gets worse with the twin turbo's (what your buddy's car has to be). The turbo's hang out past the heads on the sides. The exhaust would be right up against the back of your bulkhead and hte heat from those turbos make the SBF ford heat look like a refrigerator! Theoretically, you could flip the entire injection/exhaust/etc. from front to back but you'd still be doing a ton of fabrication and have to solve the width issue.

Although these engines do like cool air for temperature control, there are plently in low air-flow applications (914's / 906's) as oil cooling provides a significant amount of the actual cooling. I bet the oil cooling on your buddy's car is pretty impressive. If he's running anything less than the euro GT2 coolers up front he might not get a chance to wreck the car before the motor cooks itself.

Bill & Ex,
Dang, I guess I became a dreamer once again. Boy was that fun while it lasted. I was a dreamer for at least 12 years before I finally got my CAV. But I finally got my " BLUE BEAUTY " and am enjoying every minute of it. I hope all you wrench turners get finished soon so you can meet me out on the highway. I am very lonely here since I have never seen another GT in the Atlanta area.
Joe

Ron Earp

Admin
Joesph,

If you're looking for more power or are envious of your neighbor give yourself what he has - twin turbos. Put those on your small block and you'll never look back, except to see folks rapidly receeding in your mirrors.

R

Back