Rear bearing help needed!

Hi all

I've just been down to see my mechanic who is fitting my bearings for my Tornado. He is currently fitting the rear bearings into the rear bearing housings but noticed that when the drive flange is fitted and everything is tightened up that there will be load applied to the bearings. He told me that he is concerned about any possible load on the bearings as it will press them together and cause them to get hot possibly resulting in a failure at some point.

Here is a picture of the rear bearing housing, could anyone tell me what donor car these are from, are they from a Sierra?

build-december9.jpg

I want to double check the way the donor car has it's bearings fitted to ensure that what we are doing is correct and to help spot anything that we might have missed.

As always your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Trev

Brian Magee

Supporter
Trevor

That is correct, they are designed to have a pre-load. The nuts will have to be tightened to 200lb. As long as the outer races are fitted fully home in the housing then this will give the correct pre-load.

Brian.

Trevor

That is correct, they are designed to have a pre-load. The nuts will have to be tightened to 200lb. As long as the outer races are fitted fully home in the housing then this will give the correct pre-load.

Brian.

Perfect, thanks Brian that's what I wanted to hear. I just downloaded the Ford Sierra Cosworth workshop manual which confirms that's how the bearings are housed

Thanks for the response

Trevor

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor,

Wish I could help here but appears Andy has changed bearing housing from my early chassis to your current chassis. Maybe Andy can chime in here and advise.

Mine uses a Ford Granada Mk II '72-'85 wheel bearing and housing that looks different than what you posted. And in my example once you tighten the nyloc nut firmly on the bearings you stop otherwise you can crack the inner race by overtighting.

Thanks all, already checked the torque amounts on page 12 Andy but just wanted to check about applying any load on the bearings which seems to be fine.

Should be picking the parts up this week and then it will be onto brakes and wheels

Trev

Back