Rear Bulkhead Window Assembly

Hi folks,

I'm still working out the packaging (shipping glass not fun!) and have ordered more packaging material. Barring any other issues I plan to start accepting payments and shipping out the week of May 8th in the order of the above commitments and any DM's.

I'll take one if you have any left. Postage to the UK without glass please.

Thanks, It looks like I'm going to have to make a second batch, so I should be able to support. I'm going to ship out all of the unmarked glass orders first and then switch to the aluminum template version.

Hi folks,

Been doing some archeological digging the past week and here is what I have found:

There are significant differences between MKI and MKII windows. The MKII used a Ford Carlite glass and headliner windlace (we called it pinch lace) used in 1960s Fords as the gasket. The windlace is made of rubber coated metal, and actually makes a nice sturdy protective surround for the glass. It is what is pictured on my kitchen counter (wife loved that) towards the top of this thread. Additionally, the original MKI glass was only 3/16" thick and tempered. I elected to go with the thinnest laminated safety glass available (1/4"). This combination of glass and gasket is slightly thicker (0.090" to 0.120") and wider than the original MKI setup and is very rigid. As a result the MKI frame flanges wont bolt tightly to the bulkhead without significant force. To compensate, the MKII frame was both a little thicker and wider. The MKII also had 3 additional separate hold-down brackets mounted along the top of the window. Clearly the more rigid assembly did not seal the the top of the bulkhead as well.

Long story short, I had to abandon the windlace and revert to a more standard rubber U-shaped gasket. It is a much cleaner look, as it is completely covered by the metal frame (the windlace was visible on the MKII) and seals to the bulkhead without significant force.

So in the end the version I am shipping is very close to the original MKI design, with the only difference being the increased glass thickness.

I realize 99% of you want the MKI anyway, but I want to be very explicit about what I am offering.

I am currently shipping the MKI assembly, and MIGHT make a run of MKII in the future. If I did, it would include the laminated glass, windlace, thicker frame and 3 additional hold-downs.

Thanks all!

Do you have any dimensions for me to check if it would fit my replica?
I would also like to know the pricing of course, shipping to Sweden.

1683192198287.png

Hi Daniel,

You would want your opening to be roughly 6.5" X 35" +/- 0.25".

The the early-bird price is $325 + shipping (with glass, no e-mark) until my production exceeds orders, then it will increase to probably $400.

This is to pull sales forward so I can recoup my investment and move on to the next part.

Adam, thanks to you, a much needed upgrade, not available anywhere, is being manufactured and made available to us. If only you would expand and make a glass rear for the rear of an MK1 hatch? I had one cut from a flat piece of tempered glass only to realize there is a slight curvature needed for a proper fit.

Do you have any dimensions for me to check if it would fit my replica?
I would also like to know the pricing of course, shipping to Sweden.

View attachment 129597
Daniel, I would think that you should be able to make it work.
The screen size and shape is derived from the shape of the fiberglass that forms the tray around where the air intake is on top of the engine. As this is largely the same across all the GT40 Replicar's you should be very close.

Ryan

Gale

Supporter
Hi Adam, George sold me the one he got from you, so I don't need to be on the list now.
I appreciate you responding. Thank you.
Gale

Back