Recommendations for US vacation around the 60th anniversary in July 24

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello all,

as mentioned in the thread about the 60th anniversary I’m starting to plan our road trip.

We are flying into Detroit on July 23rd and fly out on August 6th.

What other events in Pittsburgh besides the anniversary from the 2024 PVGP Calendar | PVGP are recommended to attend? E.g.:
Or even the following weekend?

Schenley Park Race Weekend | PVGP

Is it worthwhile to stay that long? What to do in between?

On the bucket list are already:

How about these?

Now comes my usual question:
What are the must see’s on the way from Detroit to Pittsburgh and back (or in reasonable distance)?
  • Automotive museums / collections
  • Race events on the weekend from August 3-4
  • Any of the regular tourist attractions
  • Food recommendations
  • Car dealerships to visit
  • Sports events
Unfortunately, the Woodward Dream Cruise is not matching our travel date.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

Markus

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
The Simeon Museum should be on your list!

Ron
Ron,
Thanks, really thinking about driving to Philadelphia (altough 5-6hrs one way).

But here comes the question, any chance that the MkIV or MkII will be in Pittsburgh?

Thanks in advance
Markus

This is west of Detroit but a very nice museum

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,
Thanks, really thinking about driving to Philadelphia (altough 5-6hrs one way).

But here comes the question, any chance that the MkIV or MkII will be in Pittsburgh?

Thanks in advance
Markus
Sadly, the Simione museum will not move any cars. But don't let you think there will not be any MK II or MK IV cars at the event! Can't announce the cars attending yet, but.........

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
I'm in the process of booking our rental car (2 passengers).
Stupid questions:
- reasons not to book a pick-up truck (besides fuel consumption)
- if a pick-up is our joyce - which one to pick (all twin cab, RWD):
> Chevy Colorado
> Ford F-150
> Dodge RAM 1500

Any other thougts?

Thanks,
Markus

Hi Markus,
Your question may be a bit confusing. There really is no reason to rent a pickup truck or 4x4 in July. Most rental car companies don't rent pickups either. There are a few that do but they are typically used for short haul trips. If your set on a pickup most American brand trucks are great. Colorado is a bit smaller than the 1500 but would be fine as well. Good Luck with your travel plans.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Markus,
Your question may be a bit confusing. There really is no reason to rent a pickup truck or 4x4 in July. Most rental car companies don't rent pickups either. There are a few that do but they are typically used for short haul trips. If your set on a pickup most American brand trucks are great. Colorado is a bit smaller than the 1500 but would be fine as well. Good Luck with your travel plans.
Hello Rob, Hello Bill,
Thanks for your reply.

@Rob, after reading your response I realize I should have elaborated a little more....

Booking a rental car in the US is always challenging (at least for us Germans which want to insure (in terms of insurance) that everything is included), therefore it is common practice to book from Germany via an German webpage (also Hertz, Alamo, etc.) but there you have standard insurance package which include everything you need -> no hazzle at the rental car counter when the clerk is trying to sell you additional insurances.....:(

By booking from Germany pricing for cars (even small cars) are not that cheap - see screen shot. Pick-up trucks are on the cheaper side and because I never drove one the idea was born to rent a truck. My son liked the idea as well and thinks this would be a cool thing to drive...
FYI - prices below for 2 weeks with unlimited miles, currently I can get a -20% discount

Yes, fuel consumption is an argument but in Germany wie pay currenty around 1,80$ per liter which equals almost 7$ / gallon....

So, once again - any other reason not to rent a truck? Roundtrip approx. 2000 miles...

Sorry for lengthy write up and all the stupid questions...

Regards,
Markus

Screenshot 2024-03-28 205725.png

I get it now. Hertz has always been a quality rent a car company. I have had bad experiences with most other rent car companies. Of the three vehicles you are showing above I would pick the Colorado. Mileage will not be much different that the VW Jetta. At least not enough to be too concerned about. I had one for a while before I upgraded to a Duramax Diesel. My daughter is still driving the Colorado and has not had any mechaniucal issues in 100k miles.

Ron McCall

Supporter
I'm in the process of booking our rental car (2 passengers).
Stupid questions:
- reasons not to book a pick-up truck (besides fuel consumption)
- if a pick-up is our joyce - which one to pick (all twin cab, RWD):
> Chevy Colorado
> Ford F-150
> Dodge RAM 1500

Any other thougts?

Thanks,
Markus
I would choose the F150 hands down. Interior is much nicer, handling/braking is excellent (for a truck) and the Ecoboost or Coyote are both excellent engines.
Ron

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Rob, Hello Ron,
Thanks again for your replies.
So a truck it will be....

Now I can plan the road trip in detail.

Happy easter
Markus

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello all,

as mentioned in the thread about the 60th anniversary I’m starting to plan our road trip.

We are flying into Detroit on July 23rd and fly out on August 6th.

What other events in Pittsburgh besides the anniversary from the 2024 PVGP Calendar | PVGP are recommended to attend? E.g.:
Or even the following weekend?

Schenley Park Race Weekend | PVGP

Is it worthwhile to stay that long? What to do in between?
Now comes my usual question:
What are the must see’s on the way from Detroit to Pittsburgh and back (or in reasonable distance)?
  • Automotive museums / collections
  • Race events on the weekend from August 3-4
  • Any of the regular tourist attractions
  • Food recommendations
  • Car dealerships to visit
  • Sports events
Unfortunately, the Woodward Dream Cruise is not matching our travel date.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

Markus
Finally booked the rental (thanks again for your replys) now coming back to my original post....
Any recommendations for the two topics above?
Regards
Markus

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
The second weekend of the PVGP is at Schenley Park in the city. Smaller bore cars racing on park roads! The "Ragtime Racers" group will be there, 1910 to 30's Indy cars and more. https://pvgp.org/general-event-information/
Rick,
yes - thanks, question is if it is worthwhile to stay another week in Pittsburgh (or around town) or if there are other events not too far away - we are flying in and out from Detroit....

Back