Replica body accuracy

I am just beginning to dip my toe into GT40 world, I have come from the Cobra world were there is a vast difference in body shape between the manufacturers. There are even different wheelbases offered. And very few of the replica Cobra manufacturers have an accurate body shape.
However, I can not see much differences in body shape (mk1) between the different replica GT40 manufacturers, they all seem pretty accurate to the original. Am I wrong?

Hi Wolfgang,

Most of the replicas have bodywork that is significantly different to the original body shape. Some are actually superior to the originals. Try and study pictures of the originals and compare them with some of the replicas, the differences will soon become apparent. This is not in anyway criticising some of the replica shapes, it really depends if you want a car that looks similar to a GT40 or if you want one that is indistinguishable from the real thing. Very few originals still have their original bodywork, particularly those that are currently racing.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Regards,

Graham.

Reactions: lgs

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
My body is cast off of P1017 and P1054. It has all the original interior panels, ducts and two piece ducted hood. The bodies from current kit manufacturers have deleted a lot of the inner panels. They are wider at the rear fenders a bit. There are other differences in some lines I have seen in the front fenders and windshield pillars. From my recollection this goes back to KVA cars.
Fitting an original reproduction body on a modern chassis can be done it just time consuming but when you see these lines come together it is a beautiful thing especially where the roof doors and tail meet. A lot of small details, curves and swooshes to run your eyes over. The narrow hips over
E8DBC1A3-1CE2-4B5A-B5FB-2BFD9B1F8731.jpeg
the rear wheels draws me to just sit with a pint and ogle

Reactions: lgs
Back