Reshafting 48IDA's

Recently I noticed there is air (vacuum) being pulled though one of the end bearings on 1 of the IDA's. This got me to thinking that maybe the inner 2 bores for the throttle shaft in the aluminum body of the carb may need to be resized. These were used carbs that were rescued from some VW sandrail guys. I realize .5 mm oversize shafts are available (seemed very pricey!) and it got me wondering if the inner bores could be resleved (like brass valve guide liner), and retain the OEM shafts. I have double shielded bearings to replace the OEM open bearings and leather seals. What do you think? Has anyone done this procedure?

Last edited:
Hope you have emptied your mail box Rick:)- The bearings I was going to suggest would have ---2RS as a suffix on the p/n-- this being for R-ubber S-eal. May not be available in those sizes though. If the bearing is in good order & sealed then the carb spindle bore to spindle clearance should not be a major issue.

I am speaking of the two supporting areas under the float bowls where the shaft passes through a bored hole in the aluminum casting.If there is too much clearance with the shaft I am looking for an alternative to new oversized shafts. The double sealed bearings (for the outer ends of the shafts are yet to be installed) do have rubber seals that would potentially eliminate the leather seals that are usually used.

Back