Road trip

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Fantastic cars, roads, scenery and photos. Wow what an excellent trip, thanks for making the effort to share with all of us. I for one would have driven my car out in the torrentials on purpose.....if only it would rain in California (we, as a state, have been on FIRE for a few months).
Would have happily shared some rain with you Mesa, if I could have.

Just feet getting wet really.
As a all year around motorcyclist - Gore-tex products are your friend. I was thinking of getting some Gore-Tex sneaker so I could watch my kids play Saturday sports without having to change into the Wellies (Gumboots).

Only major issue was when we stopped to refuel at a pump with no canopy. Rain was teeming into the front clip via the nostril and water got in to the electrics for the cooling fans, after which they went a bit haywire - so much so that they drained the battery over the next 10 - 15 miles. End result was not enough charge to run the fuel pumps/provide spark and we coasted to a stop. Disconnected the fans and got a push start from some of our travelling companions and we were away again. Dried the car and fans out overnight at the next stop, re-connected the fans, and all was well again.
Pleased you got it sorted Brian.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Serious question (forgive my ignorance):
It seems as though it's pretty much impossible to 'waterproof' the passenger compartment of a GT40.
Why?
The nose and engine compartment I can understand to a great degree...but the passenger compartment?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Brian,
Great looking Mk II. See you removed the roof vent?
Is the flat black on your nose painted?
Yes - the flat black is painted. Did not include the roof vent because I really didn't need another entry for water... ;)

Brian Stewart
Supporter
'Serious question (forgive my ignorance):
It seems as though it's pretty much impossible to 'waterproof' the passenger compartment of a GT40.
Why?
The nose and engine compartment I can understand to a great degree...but the passenger compartment?

Most of the water comes in under the doors and some down the sides of the doors. We have used weather-strip, but it does not do a complete job. Water gets in to the footwell through the various holes in the mono front bulkhead. Some also leaks in from the engine bay via the various removable panels and little gaps.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Most of the water comes in under the doors and some down the sides of the doors. We have used weather-strip, but it does not do a complete job. Water gets in to the footwell through the various holes in the mono front bulkhead. Some also leaks in from the engine bay via the various removable panels and little gaps.

Thanks, Brian.
'Seems as though the front bulkhead holes ought to be easy enough to plug/fix...ditto the engine bay gaps. The door issue not so much. Sounds as though the doors might do quite a bit of air pressure-generated warping/flexing 'at speed'. Perhaps thickening them may solve that?
I dunno. 'Too far above my pay grade.

Of course, there's always the 'wet suit' solution, I suppose! ;-)

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Plugging the holes in the front bulkhead is not straightforward. There are lots. :)

Front.jpeg

Brian,
Have you posted a build log on this site? Your chassis looks very much like Superformance, but I see some differences in the tubing and rivets on the firewall. Is it custom and not a Superformance?

Brian build log is very well known on this site. Look up Classic Car Developments Chassis Number 3

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well done, Brian!!! I am incredibly jealous. This couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving guy. You're the best. The photos of your car are really stellar. There is nothing better or meaner looking than a GT40 coming at you with its lights lit up.

Back