SBF 331 camshaft Questions ..

Guys,

My SBF 331 is history after only 1100 miles so it`s upgrade time.

Can anybody advise on which way to go regards camshaft choice ? mad and angry sounds like fun ....I have Edelbrock Performer Rpm Heads and a TWM injection kit on order.

Also can anybody help id the cam installed at present, the only markings visible are GT stamped round the shaft at the front with a bunch of x`s and #56 on the flywheel end.

Cheers

Stew

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There is a camshaft selector program on Comp Cams web site that might be helpful; the only problem with it that I see is that it seems to look mostly at drag cars with auto transmissions. But if you called them, they would be helpful. They are familiar with Webers and with individual runner induction systems, or they ought to be- they sell them.

Most engine builders recommend too much cam, in the way of lift, overlap, etc, and the engiens end up idling poorly and making very little power at low revs. GT40s are light cars and I think are more enjoyable with an engine that makes good torque from about 1500 revs on up; a smooth and flexible engine makes the car more fun to drive. That said, with TWM induction and an electronic EMS you can get away with more camshaft than an engine like mine which has Webers.

I agree with Jim, aim for something that is a bit more mild than most builders want you to go with.

My uneducated comment is to make sure you understand how the lift and duration will impact the aggressiveness of a cam. Getting something that is very aggressive will break a bunch of springs and rocker arms (ask me how I know).

Jac Mac has posted a bunch of thoughts on cam shaft grinds; you might try a search for his posts and find something that helps.

Re: Id'ing your existing cam. No idea, sorry

Kevin

Stew

You need to recommend the rpm range your looking for and torque charachteristics. If you download Camquest from the comp cams site that is a good starter. Although be warned the quoted Hp levels are a tad on the side of optimistic! it will ask for the complete spec of your engine and intended use. You might want to publish that if you want some help on here.

Back