Sequential shift query

OK, is it just me ...

I just don't like the concept of sequential shift trannies.
I like to be able to feel what gear I'm
in, and when I'm at speed, I'd rather not
have to look down at an indicator to tell
me what gear I'm in.

Am I wrong here, or am I missing something
conceptually?

Ian

Hi Ian,

It's been my experience (albeit racing shifter karts at 100+ mph), that the sequencial gear box just comes second nature - you just know what gear you are in. Maybe because it's damned important when your racing, or maybe it's just natural. Now, in city driving/traffic - I don't know - there just might be too many distractions. The up side is, it's so quick to shift, that it does not matter much. It also depends if you have to actually use the clutch once you are moving!!!

just look at motorcycles, Ian they're all sequential . and yes it really does become second nature. i want one!

It is just a race-track thing I s'pose, but then again, the whole GT40 is built for the track.

When you're racing and inevitably become all crossed up and sideways, and all your feet and hands and mind are working frantically to get it all correct again, its nice to be able to go "bang" "bang" on the selector and know that you've hit the right gear first time.

A common "error" made while racing is missing a gear, but it rarely happens when you have a sequential.

And yes... me too... I want one.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I have seen a kit from SummitRacing which fits on GM / Muncie boxes & provides a sequential shift. I wonder if there is something like this for Porsche / Audi boxes ?

Peter D.
smile.gif

Back